• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cutting back on methylation supplements for a treatment?

Kadar

@drmullin30 I'm happy to hear you found your solutions!

I'll be careful with B6 now, thanks. I have MTHFR homozygous 1298 too and I too think we don't need 400mcg of folate everyday as internet usually says. It would be overdose for us too. I got B1 deficiency from that regime which means folate went overboard.

I thought with B6 and lithium you got refeeding syndrome and that's why you needed boron. Needs mentioned in refeeding syndrome (hypophosphatemia, hypokalemia, and hypomagnesemia and copper as it seems according to Freddd experience) makes me think it's boron being depleted because boron regulates these nutrients (except for potassium). But this is only theory and I don't think every reaction on vitamin is detox or refeeding syndrome too. Seems b6 was your culprit

Kadar

@Katy131 I have what to say! When I got Helicobacter pylori infection after using high doses of vitamin K2 I had huge need in potassium (I don't need potassium on a regular basis), felt tired too. After treatment with antibiotics I didn't need potassium anymore. I used antibiotics only for 5 days (if I remember correctly. instead of 7-14 days as they usually are prescribed) because I'm very afraid to screw up my gut microbiota. Thanksfully short treatment worked for me

Hi Almost, so initially when I realized I was B6 toxic I stopped ALL b-vitamin supplements. The reason for this is that the b12 and the folate as well as B2 can cause dehydration and issues with sodium deficiency and other electrolyte problems which aren't good for people with B6 induced neuropathy which causes low blood volume and autonomic blood pressure dysfunction.

I stayed off b-vitamins for several months but eventually I re-started with very low dose folate, b12, b2 and b1 and titrated up to a comfortable level. I have read that supplement with the other b-vitamins can help with b6 toxicity but there's no literature on this. I will likely never supplement with b6 again. You should be able to get plenty from foods like chicken, bananas, beef etc.

I never got my levels checked but I was taking 4 times what you are taking and had all of the classic symptoms of small fiber neuropathy and after cessation I went into classic recoil (medical literature calls it coasting) within a few days so I know for a fact I was toxic.

Muscle weakness and ataxia are definitely symptoms that were common in the b6 toxicity group. Some people in the group became toxic with just food.
What doses and brands of B1, B2, B12, folate are you taking? I found difficult to find low doses of each. Supplements are always big doses.

drmullin30

What doses and brands of B1, B2, B12, folate are you taking? I found difficult to find low doses of each. Supplements are always big doses.
I am extremely sensitive to cross contamination with gluten or corn so I only use a few high quality brands and I split up the capsules. I have a milligram scale that I use. Pure encapsulations
Thorne Research
Metagenics

I am extremely sensitive to cross contamination with gluten or corn so I only use a few high quality brands and I split up the capsules. I have a milligram scale that I use. Pure encapsulations
Thorne Research
Metagenics
What doses do you take of each? Also what miligram scale did you bought?