• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Correction of Cervical Lordosis may be associated with an immediate Increase in Cerebral Blood Flow (2019)

junkcrap50

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6458772/
Increase in cerebral blood flow indicated by increased cerebral arterial area and pixel intensity on brain magnetic resonance angiogram following correction of cervical lordosis
Evan A Katz, Seana B Katz, Curtis A Fedorchuk,1 Douglas F Lightstone,1 Chris J Banach, and Jessica D Podoll2

See commentary "Commentary on “Increase in cerebral blood flow indicated by increased cerebral arterial area and pixel intensity on brain magnetic resonance angiogram following correction of cervical lordosis”" in volume 5 on page 26.

Abstract
CONTEXT:
Loss of cervical lordosis is associated with decreased vertebral artery hemodynamics.
AIM:
The aim of this study is to evaluate cerebral blood flow changes on brain magnetic resonance angiogram (MRA) in patients with loss of cervical lordosis before and following correction of cervical lordosis.
SETTINGS AND DESIGN:
This study is a retrospective consecutive case series of patients in a private practice.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
Cervical lordosis of seven patients (five females and two males, 28–58 years) was measured on lateral cervical radiographs ranging from −13.1° to 19.0° (ideal is −42.0°). Brain MRAs were analyzed for pixel intensities representing blood flow. Pixel intensity of the cerebral vasculature was quantified, and percentage change was determined.
STATISTICAL ANALYSIS USED:
A Student's t-test established significance of the percentage change in cerebral blood flow between pre- and postcervical lordosis adjustment images. Regression analysis was performed. An a priori analysis determined correlation between cervical lordosis and change in MRA pixel intensity. The statistician was blinded to the cervical lordosis.
RESULTS:
Pixel intensity increased 23.0%–225.9%, and a Student's t-test determined that the increase was significant (P < 0.001). Regression analysis of the change in pixel intensity versus the cervical lordosis showed that as the deviation from a normal cervical lordosis increases, percentage change in pixel intensity on MRA decreases.
CONCLUSION:
These results indicate that correction of cervical lordosis may be associated with an immediate increase in cerebral blood flow. Further studies are needed to confirm these findings and understand clinical implications.
Keywords: Brain magnetic resonance angiogram, cerebral artery, cerebral blood flow, Cervical Denneroll™, cervical lordosis

Wishful

Sounds like a test that should be done with some PWME who go for CCI surgery. Maybe it would show why it works for some people and not others.

WantedAlive

@junkcrap50 Thanks for posting this. This might even explain my experience with cervical manipulation I've since tried to understand. Three years into ME, I experienced neck troubles: neck and shoulder pain with numbness in forearms and wrists. I thought it was postural as the illness required me to change my sleeping posture, I'd never had neck problems before then, so I sought chiropractic adjustment suspecting a pinched nerve.

The first adjustment at C6/C7 had an immediate improvement to hand grip strength, but most unexpectedly the following three days I experienced progressively improving energy and 'fluidity' in my legs, the 'rigour-mortis' feeling when walking abating. It was quite a remarkable improvement. However, regrettable to this day, the following adjustment was at C2, and that hit me like a punch to the head. It wasn't the chiro's fault I'm sure, it's an instability issue I'd acquired with ME/CFS, which may overlap with mixed connective tissue disorders.

Following that C2 adjustment, I lost grip strength, the rigour-mortis feeling returned. I deteriorated a week later and I've since been wheelchair dependent. There's something going on in the neck (brainstem) that's contributing to a significant loss of functionality. I've since had an MRI and my spinal cord is fine (although it was supine not upright). I've even tried another adjustment at C6, but a year and half later nothing has improved.

I do notice though when energy levels improve my neck pain immediately recedes. So just maybe the ME/CFS mixed connective tissue disorder, sub-cortical inflammation, and cerebral hypo-perfusion, is it all linked to energy deficiency? With all the controversy around CCI in ME/CFS though, I do believe it's a significant issue, and blood flow is sure to be part of it. Just maybe that was the benefit I got with that first manipulation.