• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

compression sleepwear?

I'm not sure if this is relevant here, but i have ME and i found this sort of useful, so thought it was worth discussing.

I don't usually sleep very well and often wake up feeling as tired as when i went to bed. but sometimes i wear what i call compression sleepwear, it's usually just stretchy leggings and a long sleeve stretchy top, but i sleep much better and feel refreshed in the morning. I don't wear anything too tight as that can cause obvious problems.

I'm not sure how i started doing this, but i know I cannot wear normal pyjamas, well i can but i usually wake up with numb arms and legs, I can wear completely loose pyjamas and still end up unable to move in the morning. it doesn't seem to make sense. But wearing something slightly tight and stretchy works fine for me.
I also wear leggings during the day sometimes and i find that helps with my low blood pressure. I suspect the compression sleepwear is effective because of its effect on blood pressure.

the only downsides to compression sleepware is that i sometimes wake up wet through with sweat more often than usual, but that happens to me anyway but less often, so i don't mind that too much. I cannot control body temp very well so i either shiver or sweat a lot.

I know athletes use compression wear while training/recovery but i can't find any reference to compression sleepwear. I know it sounds like a really bad idea on the face of it to wear anything slightly tight/stretchy while sleeping, but for me it works great. i have been doing this on and off for many years so it seems quite safe for me at least.

andyguitar

I'm not sure how i started doing this, but i know I cannot wear normal pyjamas, well i can but i usually wake up with numb arms and legs, I can wear completely loose pyjamas and still end up unable to move in the morning. it doesn't seem to make sense
I suspect the compression sleepwear is effective because of its effect on blood pressure.
If you put those 2 things together it makes sense. You are probably improving your circulation which is stopping the numbness when you wake up. To avoid sweating/overheating you might find just wearing compression PJs on your legs and not your body would work.