• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coconut milk ice cream reaction

Misfit Toy

yesterday I decided to treat myself to some coconut milk ice cream. No milk, no gluten, no soy. It made me so sick. I had to run to the bathroom and then on top of it I was itching all night long.

I know people have been taking coconut oil for their stomachs. To help kill off bacteria.

I'm actually wondering if all of the coconut milk could somehow affect my stomach the same way that coconut oil can affect someone's stomach. As in kill bacteria.

I know this is a random symptom, thought, or whatever but I just wanted to know if anyone else had an issue like this. Of course, many of us have food allergies.

I have coconut milk with my cereal sometimes and I'm fine so this is a little strange. But I remember it happening before, too.

Denise

I wonder if it could be something else that was in the ice cream rather than the coconut that caused your reaction.
Can you compare the coconut milk and coconut ice cream ingredients side by side to identify differences?

Gondwanaland

Industrialized coconut products, even organic and w/o additives are very high in sulfites. That can certainly be an issue for the PR members.

What I think is worse is the combo of high fructose and salicylates. They cause uric acid retention. Add that to excess lactic acid that we all have and boom -- crash :(

Misfit Toy

I am highly allergic to sulfites. I threw out the ice cream so I can't compare it to the milk. All I know is I cannot eat coconut ice cream anymore as every time I do I get sick.

Thank you for all the answers!

L'engle

moogle
I've had weird reactions to coconut products. They are very concentrated. Anything coconut in the evening will keep me awake for a good while. I once put lots of coconut oil on my hair and scalp to condition it and had the weirdest neurological/head pain reaction that lasted several hours and was very uncomfortable. It can also be very powerful against bacteria which can be a shock to your system. One of those things that is much more medicinal than foodlike, so I have been steering away form it is diet as the reactions tend to be dramatic.

Misfit Toy

Yes, for awhile I liked to put coconut oil in my soups for added flavor. But...my stomach would always be a mess. And organic good coconut oil, so I stopped. I could once handle it, but no more.

Kati

Patient in training
@Misfit Toy hopefully you can find some kind of ice cream or sorbet you can enjoy and tolerate. I bought an ice cream maker at the thrift store one year and I could make my own, including non-dairy sorbet. For a while I really enjoyed pear sorbet.

It is not difficult to make and it's yummy.

Effi

@Misfit Toy if you have a food processor (with an s-blade knife) it's easy to make your own frozen dessert. The only thing you need is (non-dairy) yogurt and frozen fruit. Mango and banana work best I think. To get the right consistency you need about a 2:1 ratio of frozen fruit to yogurt. Run the food processor with the fruit alone first for a couple of seconds so the chunks are a bit smaller. Then add the yogurt, and some extra things for taste, like fresh mint, vanilla extract, lime juice, sweetener of your choice, ... Run it for another couple of seconds and your treat is ready!
If you put your dessert bowl in the freezer for a couple of hours beforehand the 'ice cream' will hold its frozen consistency a little longer while you're eating it :)

Effi

hi @Misfit Toy :)

there's a couple of options for non-dairy yogurt. I'm not sure what your dietary restrictions are, but I read in your first post no dairy/soy/gluten and then you reacted to coconut, right?

I've never tried this myself, but you can make yogurt from any non-dairy milk (seed/nut/grain milk for example, like almond, hemp or rice milk) + thickener + vegan starter. I found this blog where it's explained in a video. Making it yourself means you know exactly what is in it, and that might be important if you have food sensitivities. I haven't tried it myself, so no guaranties on taste! ;) http://wakingupvegan.com/2012/09/23/homemade-vegan-yogurt-no-equipment-required/

You're in the US/Canada, right? So there's a couple of store bought options too that are free of dairy/soy/gluten/coconut.
This one brand Almond Dream has a couple of yogurt options (check the labels though, there's a LOT of ingredients in it).
And then there's So Delicious. They have this thing called Cultured Almond Milk, which is supposed to be smooth like yogurt. (There's Almond frozen dessert too, but I checked and they all have coconut oil in them.) The same brand has a couple of Cashew frozen desserts options that have no coconut oil, but be sure to check the labels, because it has a TON of ingredients.

We don't have any of these brands over here, so again: no guarantees on taste! :p

maddietod

Can you have this? https://www.talentigelato.com/our-products/blood-orange/ Talenti also makes a raspberry sorbet. I found it at Fresh Market, and my Target sells some Talenti products [haven't looked for this one at Target].

Edit: My Target sells the raspberry sorbet. The blood orange (which I haven't seen in any store) has egg white; the raspberry does not.

Last edited: