• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cervical smear test

Emmarose47

Hi all so I'm due my cervical screening under the NHS.
I had some pre abnormal cells few yrs ago and had them lazered. The past 2 screens have been fine. I had emergency post menopausal bleed 2 summers ago.. Since then I came off HRT and my periods have returned which was weird but welcome.
I have been doing high raw diet and supplements and I think they kick started my body into what it needed (my prev results were never truly conclusive for early menopause.
So, I'm been taking action to get someone to come to my home to do the screening and turns out my actions were successful and a senior nurse is coming.
Thing is today I'm thinking 'why am I bothering? I Mean if it's an all clear then great but what if it's not and it's said I need treatment.
Im far too unwell to go out it could but me fully bedbound and clearly I'm not up for that.
I've seen others have posted on this topic so will have a look.
Any one who has exp on the above or similar re treatment deterioration I'd appreciate

Mary

Moderator Resource
Thing is today I'm thinking 'why am I bothering? I Mean if it's an all clear then great but what if it's not and it's said I need treatment.
Im far too unwell to go out it could but me fully bedbound and clearly I'm not up for that.

My granddaughter died from cervical cancer about 5 years ago. It never should have happened. She didn't get her screenings - she was only I think 30 when she died. Again, it never should have happened. So this is why testing is important. If you do have abnormal cells, it takes time for them to become cancerous so hopefully you would be able to arrange for treatment, if needed, for a time when you were able to make necessary arrangements to go.

L'engle

moogle
You might be able to get an HPV testing kit that you can do yourself at home. If it's positive then they recommend further testing but if it's negative then its supposedly a good test on its own (at least if there is no history of abnormal cells, not sure otherwise). Might want to see what is recommended and if this might be an option for you.

An article about HPV screening vs pap tests but it doesn't mention self-sampling.

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/194/17/E613

Last edited:

Emmarose47

My granddaughter died from cervical cancer about 5 years ago. It never should have happened. She didn't get her screenings - she was only I think 30 when she died. Again, it never should have happened. So this is why testing is important. If you do have abnormal cells, it takes time for them to become cancerous so hopefully you would be able to arrange for treatment, if needed, for a time when you were able to make necessary arrangements to go.
Sad to hear of your grand daughter Mary... And yes maybe I'll have the smear while it's offered to me at home and leave the outcome out of my mind for now....

Emmarose47

You might be able to get an HPV testing kit that you can do yourself at home. If it's positive then they recommend further testing but if it's negative then its supposedly a good test on its own (at least if there is no history of abnormal cells, not sure otherwise). Might want to see what is recommended and if this might be an option for you.

An article about HPV screening vs pap tests but it doesn't mention self-sampling.

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/194/17/E613
Hi @L'engle ah yep I looked into that too..
The nurses will come and do it on my bed so that's good. I'll just tell them I can't interact much.
Thing with the screen v just a test is that they look at the health of the cervix too

then I came off HRT and my periods have returned which was weird but welcome.
I have been doing high raw diet and supplements and I think they kick started my body into what it needed (my prev results were never truly conclusive for early menopause.
So, I'm been taking action to get someone to come to my home to do the screening and turns out my actions were successful and a senior nurse is coming.
Great that you got this accomplished.