• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Central sensitization diagnosis

wonderoushope

I’ve just recently being told by a rheumatologist that I have central sensitization with the main issue fatigue rather than pain. I’ve never heard of it and worried it’s basically saying it’s all “in my head” and I need things like CBT to fix it. Not that they suggest CBT yet.

I’m also a bit skeptical of diagnosis since I only met the person once. Yes I suppose you can look at my history and come to that conclusion.

Can people shed some more light on this diagnosis? What’s the difference from CFS and central sensitization?

Richard7

I am sure that there are people who know more about this than me, but I first heard the term here http://www.virology.ws/2018/12/24/trial-by-error-australian-draft-report-seeks-comments/ where David Tuller wrote
In my own interview with Professor Lloyd last spring (well, it was last autumn in Australia), he made clear that he rejected the long-prevailing “deconditioning” model of ME/CFS. Instead, he favored a model relying on “central sensitization” of fatigue pathways—although he acknowledged the paucity of current evidence supporting this proposed mechanism of action. Of course, the “deconditioning” hypothesis was the initial theoretical basis behind GET, but never mind that. It seemed that Professor Lloyd’s version of GET now rested on a different unproven notion–that incremental increases in activity can effectively “desensitize” the body from over-responding to minimal exertion.

But there is a long article on mepedia https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Central_sensitization

ljimbo423

Can people shed some more light on this diagnosis? What’s the difference from CFS and central sensitization?

From the little reading I just did to better understand central sensitization. It seems like they are saying the nervous system becomes hypersensitive to stimuli and this causes a magnified pain response. At least this was the first interpretation of it.

It seems like it has morphed into an umbrella term now that can include fibromyalgia, CFS and other illnesses that the causes have not been found yet.

I’m also a bit skeptical of diagnosis since I only met the person once. Yes I suppose you can look at my history and come to that conclusion.

I think you are right to be skeptical. From the ME/CFS research I have read, it doesn't fall into the category of central sensitization.

Jarred Younger and others have found ongoing low grade brain inflammation in ME/CFS. Younger thinks that's from activated microglia. So I think that would rule out central sensitization.

Shoshana

Northern USA
From my limited understanding of it, it leans more toward thinking that the over response of the central nervous system to many stimuli, it is "all in the head", but different individual doctors who give this dx, might have differing views, on whether it is developed from, or is related to some other underlying physical cause or result, or if they believe it is more psychological.
I mean that I don't think the dx is very specific. Nor that it specifies definitely whether physical or not. It seems like another very general impression type of dx, from what I can glean.

Perhaps another one that is reached for when they don't know what to call us, and feel they need a label, to do their job. Though I could be incorrect on that impression of mine. Perhaps it means something more specific to some doctors, than what I am aware of.

If it directs toward a specific therapy or treatment, I don't know.