• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cedars- Sinai explore role of Fungus in digestive disorders

I found the following article in a yahoo group I belong to.
The person who posted this summarised that the study found yeast/fungus embedded in the gut of Chrohn's patients. They also said that Yeast/fungus was quite difficult to study in the past because it does not culture well when embedded in tissue.That's why "Yeast Syndrome "got a bad press. Here they have used newer DNA techniques. I don't know if that person's summary is correct or not.

Maybe it will give is a clue over so many mysterious gut problems like Chrohns and our own.
I've only pasted part of the article here. The rest is in the link at the end.

Cedars-Sinai researchers explore role of fungus in digestive disorders
Study published in Science indicates that fungus plays a role in Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

LOS ANGELES (June 6, 2012) – Cedars-Sinai researchers say their examination of the fungi in the intestines suggests an important link between these microbes and inflammatory diseases such as ulcerative colitis....

...The digestive tract is home to a large number of micro-organisms. In fact, with an estimated 100 trillion bacteria residing in the gut, microbes outnumber human cells in the body. Some are necessary to aid in digesting food, producing necessary vitamins and suppressing the growth of harmful microbes. Others are harmful to the body, contributing to illnesses such as Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis and obesity.

Modern DNA-sequencing technology has revolutionized the study of these microbes in the last decade, allowing the role of bacteria in disease to be understood more clearly, as is shown in the Cedars-Science research published in Science.

“It’s long been recognized that fungi must also exist in the gut, but we’re among the first to investigate what types, how many, and whether they’re important in disease,” said David Underhill, PhD, associate professor and director of the Graduate Program in Biomedical Science and Translational Medicine, who led the study. “We were truly stunned to see just how common fungi are, identifying more than 100 different types” and seeing linkages to digestive disorders"

http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/About-U...re-role-of-fungus-in-digestive-disorders.aspx