• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

breath test/lactulose

SwanRonson

I'm scheduled to do a lactulose breath test for SIBO on Saturday. The only time I've taken lactulose in the past I got very sick. I was vomiting and passed out. I ended up in the emergency room.

At the time I was very ill, and that episode happened 10-12 hours after drinking the lactulose, so I'm not sure if that was the actual cause or not. My best guess is that it could have been lactic acidosis from a severe case of SIBO. My SIBO is much better now, so I'm thinking it should be much safer. Plus, this will only be half the amount I took that day. Still, I'm pretty nervous about it.

Has anyone else had a bad reaction to lactulose or the breath test?

Crux

I haven't taken lactulose, nor have I taken the breath test, but I wish you a safe test this time!

It looks very possible that lactulose could have caused lactic acidosis. It's a less common side effect, but quite possible in SIBO. http://www.drugs.com/sfx/lactulose-side-effects.html

Lactulose most often causes diarrhea in patients, but I wonder if in us constipated types, does it worsen the C?

It seems to be similar to sugar alcohols, polyols, and they constipate me.

Are you going to have hydrogen as well as methane tested? ( methane can be elevated in SIBO with C)

Good luck tomorrow!

SwanRonson

They actually postponed the test until next week since it requires overnighting the sample to the lab. So, it has to be done Monday-Friday.

I think my SIBO at the time (pre-rifaxamin) was much, much worse. And I hadn't had a bowl movement for almost 7 days at that point. So I'm sure the lactulose was just sitting in my stagnant small bowel. I can easily see that turning to acidosis.

Yes, they are going to do methane and hydrogen both.

It's very obvious that SIBO is present with me, but a positive breath test diagnosis will help get a gastro doctors attention for more involved treatment if necessary. My previous gastro doctor had never even heard of consipation w/SIBO. He was more of a colonoscopy/endoscopy mill.

BTW, I've been following Seibecker's SIBO diet for about 2.5 weeks now and I've been very, very regular. Sometimes I go 3 or 4 times a day. Methane (reducing motility) is clearly a factor.