• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Aseptic meningitis post covid in cci patient

kelly8

Hi everyone,
It has been a while since I have posted. I'm not sure if anyone has had this issue but I figured it was a good idea to let people know this was happening in case someone else encounters this.

I had CCI surgery with traction in September 2021. At the time I was receiving IVIG therapy because I was getting sick all the time and everyone around me was flipping out about covid. I couldn't go to work or anything anymore because I was sick for months at a time and everyone shunned me because they were worried about covid even though that was not what it was.

I had lots of improvements post surgery although the recovery was brutal. Then in October of 2022 I developed a MAJOR headache after my IVIG treatment. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with aseptic meningitis from the IV therapy. Some of my symptoms started coming back but they weren't as bad as prior to the surgery. Mostly brain fog, but the curious one that was new was a loss of mobility in my neck. Post surgery at my max from recovery I had 45 degree side to side rotation. After the meningitis I had 30 degree rotation on both sides. I was also having some numbness on the right side of my face when the PT was working on my neck area.

Dr. B didn't have an answer about it. The MRI of the area looks good as far as we can tell. My PT and doc are stumped. I spoke with the head of nursing for the IV therapy and he mentioned that it was unusual but they had had 3 instances of aseptic meningitis that month. Aseptic meningitis is supposedly very rare for these treatments and usually it is within the first couple treatments that it shows up. We were all on different medication and all of us had been on IV therapy for more than 4 months.

I know the red cross is not testing for spike protein in our blood supply and blood products. I am concerned that that could be the issue as not much had changed otherwise for treatment. I mean could it be an issue with the blood supply? I've read that the spike protein can cross the blood brain barrier and I'm not sure even how to go about figuring if this is the issue.

Interestingly, I had covid about 3 weeks ago and now my PT is saying I've lost 10 more degrees of movement in my neck. I'm now down to 20 degrees rotational mobility. I've had to get a handicapped placard for parking as I'm having trouble driving and doing everyday activities.

I'm not sure if anyone has any thoughts or ideas. I'm not even sure if anyone else is having a similar issue. I just want the mobility back in my neck and for the brain fog to go away. I feel like I'm regressing and I don't have much control over it and it is scary and upsetting. I don't want to lose all the progress I've made.