• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

App for visual impairment

Emmarose47

Hi reading screens is causing more issues for me creating head pressure and tinnitus

I know @nordwolf posted a while ago about his visual impairment problems and having something on his PC so it reads out text for him. I'm looking for anyone with exp around something I can use for my phone.

linusbert

Hi reading screens is causing more issues for me creating head pressure and tinnitus
i know this, for me its from prolonged position in a bent neck position. i suspect either muscles or cranial compression of the nerves, weak neck or something.
there are 2 muscles going from the back of your gin to the hears, those can put pressure on your ears.
you would get this also from reading a book.

the technology you are asking for is text-to-speech. every operating system has its own version of it

Emmarose47

Thanks Linus Bert so each phone has this? Do u know if it works the other way round too speech to. Text.
Also I saw a mic in my Hotmail but doesn't seem to record.. Maybe need to look at settings.
Hard to sort this stuff out when tinnitus raises even short while on screen. Maybe I need to allow some days of little use for it to calm down enough

Not sure I'm understanding u message above re muscles and also how that would play into eyes and tinnitus?

@Emmarose47 what brand is your phone? if you have an iphone, go to accessibility->spoken content. if it’s an android, i don’t know, but it should have a similar setting.

linusbert

Thanks Linus Bert so each phone has this? Do u know if it works the other way round too speech to. Text.
yes, it literally is speech-to-text or voice commands ^^.
on iphone when you activate siri you can give commands or even dictate. for text input there is a microphone symbol near the keyboard, there you can dictate.

for phones and windows there is a more sophisticated software called Dragon.
https://www.nuance.com/dragon.html