• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else have problems with oats?

CAcfs

I am wondering if I'm the only one. I seem to react to oats in the same ways I react to other "bad" foods for me, with a looser GI. The oats I eat are not gluten free, but I don't seem to have Celiac.

L'engle

moogle
My partner has trouble with oats sometimes. I think various grains can be a problem. The great thing about this forum is you usual learn you aren't the 'only one' :)

anne_likes_red

People vary I'm sure but I can't eat oats without the problems I get from all grains (gluten containing or not). They increase my tiredness and brain-fog, and they cause bloating and joint pain. I've tried various fermented grains and they don't affect me as much, but I'm still better off avoiding them for now.
I get away with a few teaspoons of coconut flour here and there but other than that my carbs are pretty much restricted to vegetables and berries. I make porridge, rice and sourdough bread for my family and it always looks and smells so great, but anything like that has a bad effect on me within an hour sadly!

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I can't eat oats, but they cause the opposite GI problem for me. Soy produces the reaction you describe, as does spinach, or "too many" of any other green.

ukxmrv

Eating oats gives me dreadful diarrhoea and stomach pains. Sometimes I just vomit up the lot. It's a real pity as my family all ate oats, I enjoyed them for breakfast (as porrige or muesli) and the problem only started within the first 2 years of having ME.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I too used to love oats and especially museli before getting ill, I can't tolerate either now, makes me feel really ill. Another why? For me its just part of the whole food intolerance thing.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
i don't eat oats - they cause terrible bloating and wind. But i can eat wheat with no problems at all! How weird is that? Apparently having an intolerance or allergy to oats but not gluten (they contain a protein similar to, but not gluten) is quite rare. Many coeliacs cant eat oats - but some can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oat_sensitivity#Oat_allergy
Justy x

GcMAF Australia

I have cut down on oats and bread, got a lot of relief straight away.
Bear in mind that I am quite active around 8-9