• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any studies carried out on triggered PEM me/CFS sufferers?

Guwop2

PEM occurs in me quite predictably after certain activities, (and arguably the main issue i suffer from) and I was curious what studies had been done that involve triggering PEM in individuals with ME/CFS and doing tests while this occurs to see what is happening/causing it. It's maybe an obvious thing to do, but I'm just not familiar at all with any theories or studies that point to reasons for its occurrence.

Wishful

Yes, it is obvious, and the not-obvious question is why there haven't been more studies about it. For some PWME it's a reliable response without long-term harm, so why not do some before/during/after studies?

Guwop2

Yes, it is obvious, and the not-obvious question is why there haven't been more studies about it. For some PWME it's a reliable response without long-term harm, so why not do some before/during/after studies?
Right, well im both surprised and not surprised. Perhaps there are reasons why it is not seen as something worth pursuing whilst other studies have been?

Guwop2

thanks @Mimicry , just read it. Interesting -

"The problem appears to be less that ME/CFS patients’ systems are responding in strange ways to exercise than that they’re not responding at all."

NK Cells stuff is also v interesting..though are arent NK Cells like the 'microbiome', in that we know virtually nothing about it or how to manipulate it in a controlled way?

Last edited:

Mimicry

thanks @Mimicry , just read it. Interesting -

"The problem appears to be less that ME/CFS patients’ systems are responding in strange ways to exercise than that they’re not responding at all."

NK Cells stuff is also v interesting..though are arent NK Cells like the 'microbiome', in that we know virtually nothing about it or how to manipulate it in a controlled way?
Unfortunately I don't know much about the immune system, I'm still learning this stuff myself.

Here's another summary of a recent study written by Cort Johnson, I just got around to reading it myself
https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...-exertional-malaise-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/