• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

an "actual" cold vs ME symptoms

kaffiend

I think I have an actual "regular" illness for the first time since the flu that started all the ME symptoms (about 17 months ago). It's kind of a relief because I don't seem to be experiencing any ME symptoms. ME definitely isn't just about feeling sick all the time, because I'd trade ME for a lifetime cold.

Has anyone else had this happen?

ukxmrv

It comes and goes with me Kaffiend.

For the first 10 years it was ME symptoms when others had colds/flus (mainly viral but severe) , then another 10 years of colds/flu's etc at the drop of a hat, now it goes from one to the other. I'm not getting any better overall sadly.

In the early days it was thought that if one got to the stage of having a simple cold, then recovery would occur.

I know what you mean. A simple cold is almost pleasant compared to full blown ME symptoms.

Seems to be much more complicated than we originally thought though.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
just watch out if that cold/flu turns into secondary bacterial infections like strp throat or sinus infections as these require antibiotics or else they really worsen cfs symptoms. I thought my scfs symptoms were really taking a nose dive this year but seems i have had a bad sinus infection which is clearing up very slowly on antibiotics. I will say the last 3-4 years i have been getting alot more cold/flu an they seem to really knock me. The first few years of cfs there were no colds. Basically it comes down to the same old line that we are all different????

cheers!!!

taniaaust1

Its said to do with the TH1/TH2 immunity and ME. The ME state is a Th2 immune system state .. when one gets a cold, that's TH1 so can help to shift one out of the other ME immunity state and help rebalance our immune system.

Look up Th1/Th2 and ME for more info on how our immune system works.

Graham

Senior Moment
I went down with ME in 1999, but at the time, without a diagnosis, was struggling to continue with work. I caught a cold, and for a week it was bliss - just a rotten cold, and I hadn't felt that good for ages. Like you, I thought it was great. Since then I have caught a very few colds, but not really noticed them much - the ME has remained - sorry to break the bad news - but it may not go that way with you.

Adster

I've just had a head cold for a few days. As has happened in the past when I get a head cold, it never really goes full blown but just stays in the early stages. I get pressure in head and ears, that "clogged head" feeling, but my ME symptoms almost go away completely. I know it's a head cold and not just symptoms as my girlfriend now has the full blown head cold.

Surely this is a really important bit of information in getting to the bottom of this illness. It seems important to me.