• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice on using TENS machine please

I have a TENS machine and am interested in seeing if this will help with my CFS After reading a few articles on here and elsewhere.

The first thing I need clarification on is using the ear clips. I have a double pair (Stereo!), with one wire leading to each clip. I’ve seen pictures and videos of people using a single clip with two wires and of two clips being used on one ear. I also read that it should only be used on the left ear. Do I need to buy a single clip or is there a way I can use the double clips?

The other things that I’ve seen various recommendations for frequency settings. Unfortunately my machine doesn’t set things out like that, the settings available are:

Tapping (slow), Tapping (Fast), Vibrating (Slow), Vibrating (Fast), Kneading (Fast), Kneading (Slow) and some settings that cycle through subsets of the above. There is also an Intensity setting. See pic.

PXL_20240314_133547047.jpg

Any recommendations based on above please?

Can someone describe what a setting that works feels like? Is it a series of clicks or more like a vibration?

I use a double clip on my left ear tragus for 30 minutes at 25hz, 250ms, 2mah sometimes twice a day. If my skin is not oily and is hydrated, then I get a sensation like licking a 12V battery, constantly zapping except the feeling is down my face. It’s uncomfortable during usage but after TENS I feel less jumpy and more relaxed. Feels like strong parasympathetic tone afterwards but internalized stress during,

I’d try vibrating fast to see how that is on a low intensity.