• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

4g high dose Thiamine Worsens Symptoms

xks201

The lactic acid limb heaviness body heaviness thing is in effect after ingesting 4grams thiamine. Pyruvate can't enter the Krebs cycle so it's being converted to lactic acid. The question is why is pyruvate blocked from the Krebs cycle? Pyruvate Dehydrogenase and pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase govern this reaction and it is possible that genetically I'm deficient in pyruvate dehydrogenase which is often treated with a ketogenic diet which I just started yesterday. Any ideas? Someone else should try taking 4 grams of thiamine and see if their CFS gets worse. I should mention that before this I had d lactate acidosis from lactic acid bacteria in the intestines fermenting food to make lactic acid. I knocked out those bacteria with antibiotics and restored non d lactate producing probiotics but it seems like that conditioning reprogrammed my body possibly as seen in cancer cells that utilize lactate.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@xks201 - are you sure the problem is lactic acid? Also, 4 grams of thiamine is a lot. I would never start with that high of a dose.

When I first took 100 mg. thiamine several years ago, it boosted my energy for a day and then hit me with severe fatigue, so I stopped it, not knowing what was going on. I tried it again a few years later, and had the same reaction, but this time I figured out that the fatigue was due to hypophosphatemia from refeeding syndrome - the thiamine caused my phosphorous to tank, causing severe fatigue. I drank several glasses of kefir, high in phosphorous, and within a few hours my energy started to return. I eventually bought a monosodium phosphate supplement and was able to keep on taking thiamine. I gradually worked my way up to 400 mg. a day.

So this may be something for you to consider, and also you might consider starting at a lower dose too.

frozenborderline

I have experimented with High dose thiamine and I would echo that 4 g is way too much. 2 g is the highest I would go and even then I would think it's better to take a more reasonable dose of a fat soluble form like benfotiamine or allithiamine