• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Skin reaction on B12

Seven7

Seven
To all,

I am taking b12 (usually hydro or cyano type) and I developed this pimples like cysts, they are huge and red and painful in chest, face and back area, I feel so good w the b12s but then I react (orally or shots).

1) Is this a reaction or a detox symptom?
2) Is there a way I Can prevent the skin reaction???

I ordered the active mb12 but have not received it, planning to start the b12 protocol but dreading the skin reaction.

Pls advice.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Funny you should ask , because I've just had my second b12 shot (the last was a month ago), and both times I got a red skin reaction in the "T-zone" on my face. No pimples or cycts though.

If you Google "B12 skin rash", you get a number of hits saying that skin rash is an occasional side effect of B12.

Freddd

To all,

I am taking b12 (usually hydro or cyano type) and I developed this pimples like cysts, they are huge and red and painful in chest, face and back area, I feel so good w the b12s but then I react (orally or shots).

1) Is this a reaction or a detox symptom?
2) Is there a way I Can prevent the skin reaction???

I ordered the active mb12 but have not received it, planning to start the b12 protocol but dreading the skin reaction.

Pls advice.

Hi Inester,

This is a reaction to ONLY hydroxcbl or other forms of cobalamin that are broken down to hydroxycbl by light. The skin reaction clears in a couple of days with the mb12, metafolin and adb12.

Seven7

Seven
TX! I did get less pimple w the m12 (just a few tiny ones) but did not feel as good as w the hydrox :(

Freddd

TX! I did get less pimple w the m12 (just a few tiny ones) but did not feel as good as w the hydrox :(

Hi Inester,

Unfortunately many pharmacies prepare the mb12 under conditions that cause some degree of exposure to light. I have not done a full series of trials on this but in my experience of hundreds of vials of mb12 prepared by a pharmacy, there is lots of variations as to how many pimples it casued. It varied from zero to covered with them and everything in between. Talk to your pharmacy and tell them the problem and that they need to prepare their methylb12 for injection under "deep red fast ortho film safelight" in order to be sure of NO pimples. Also, the vial should be wrapped in foil leaving just the top of the vial exposed for usage but no glass exposed, and never exposed to light. Also, the syringe needs to be wrapped in foil before drawing because the light it is exposed to in drawing is eneough to cause a problem.

You might want to also talk a sublingula Adenosylb12. To test the mb12 you are getting as to a different factor of quality, test against the Jarrow 5mg sublingula heald for 2 hours under the lip. That os a 5 star mb12. Most injectable mb12 is inferior to that for reasons of how it is produced as crystal long before the pharmacy gets it.

All in all, the sublingual mb12 is far more reliable than the injectable mb12 so if you are taking doses of 5mg or less injectable or not every day, you will have more consistant and better restlts. Even though I inject 30mg/day as 3x10mg subcutaneously, I still take 18mg a day of sublingual for quality.