• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medical School lists CFS as a mental disorder

Min

http://www.hyms.ac.uk/research/mental-health.aspx

Hull Medical School in the UK

Mental health

Every year, one in four people experience some kind of mental health problem. Research into these problems is a crucial part of our research portfolio, with a wide range of issues being addressed by our researchers, including:

depression and post-natal depression
autism and Autistic Spectrum Disorder
chronic fatigue syndrome
language development difficulties
mental health services for older people
adolescent self-harm

if you go to 'contact' at the bottom of the page you can email them a complaint

Mij

Autism is a recognised neurological disorder so I don't understand why they've included that on their list. Unfortunately, CFS was never defined as neurological so it's no wonder it's included. Unless they are confusing neurological and mental illnesses as the same?

alex3619

Autism is a recognised neurological disorder so I don't understand why they've included that on their list. Unfortunately, CFS was never defined as neurological so it's no wonder it's included. Unless they are confusing neurological and mental illnesses as the same?

Hi mon me, CFS is generally considered a neuroimmune condition. The disease ME is however much more specific: its neurological, and defined as such. Perhaps one of the historians on Phoenix can flesh this out. There are also plenty of sites and articles that discuss this. One of the failings of the UK Oxford definition of CFS is it has no required neurological findings for diagnosis. This has long been a major criticism of the Oxford definition as it makes the definition synonymous with ideopathic chronic fatigue and not ME.

Bye
Alex

*GG*

When I first saw this I was not in the US? phew, I know we have many Drs that still think it is psychological, like Fibromyalgia.

Wish you the best in fighting this fight!

GG

Jill McLaughlin

Well it can be. Reality check. Even Fukuda def can include pts with psych problems. CFS does not strictly define a neurological illness and
does NOT describe ME. So if this Coalition proposal goes through, all will be inclusive. So get used to it.

When I first saw this I was not in the US? phew, I know we have many Drs that still think it is psychological, like Fibromyalgia.

Wish you the best in fighting this fight!

GG