• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dan peterson starting own foundation

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Have just noticed he is in collaboration with dr sonya marshall and bond university in australia who are running the cfs study thats currently running in australia that i and a few others are apart of, which is trying to create a diagnostic test for cfs through nk function, this i believe is through nk bright cells which they are finding low in cfs/me. Bond Uni seem to have a good ability for getting research dollars as the current cfs study they are doing was the biggest grant given for a cfs study in the southern hemisphere, hopefully they are in the loop to get more big research dollars, especially since this has been a successful study. Im getting excited!!

cheers!!!

Francelle

What a pity it became a parting of the ways for Dr Peterson and the WPI. Almost seems like reinventing the wheel to me but as you say Heapsreal a different set of eyes is always useful - perhaps! Hopefully he can get the funding for Simmaron to be a success.

Perhaps next year we can nominate Simmaron (if they have charitable status) for Vivint or some such contest!

Enid

Looking good heapsreal - the more the "merrier" in the chase now.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i think peterson will bring more treatment trials from is clinical backgroung while the aussie contection investigate the testing stuff to the table, WPI investigative viral type/ retoviral hunters, and montoya a definate pathogen hunter. Im feeling good about all this, lets hope answers start to come on abit faster, maybe through competition that hopefully interrupts good working relations.

cheers!!!

toddm1960

Go ahead and change the name now, it's WMI......if they can find the blinded samples, peterson will go down in history as one more doctor that stood in the way of a new scientific discovery. I really don't feel good he's supplying samples for the Lipkin study.

Nielk

I'm not of the thought that the more the merrier.
For one thing, we can barely raise money for the WPI.
Maybe Peterson has his own private funding but, if that was the case, where was this money while he was part of WPI?
In addition, most of the players in the field have differing views and we are pulled in so many directions with no clear cut results.
For me as a patient, who is totally confused, having another contrasting view just adds to the frustration.
I believe, they would serve the patient community much better and efficiently if they would pool all their resources and knowledge and work in unison.
Unfortunately, this will never happen because there are too many ego's involved who are more concerned about getting recognition than working for the benefit of finding answers that could actually help us.

Undisclosed

What a pity it became a parting of the ways for Dr Peterson and the WPI. Almost seems like reinventing the wheel to me but as you say Heapsreal a different set of eyes is always useful - perhaps! Hopefully he can get the funding for Simmaron to be a success.

Perhaps next year we can nominate Simmaron (if they have charitable status) for Vivint or some such contest!

Simmaron Research, Inc. is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.?

eric_s

Normally i would agree that it's good to have many groups working on this. But after what happened with Peterson and the WPI i have big doubts in this case. We can't be 100% sure yet who was right, but in my opinion, something happened there that was not ok. We will probably one day see by which side. At least for the moment Dan Peterson would not get my donation. If there was a contest where his was the only ME/CFS charity... tough choice what to do. But that's just my personal opinion.

I agree that the Aussie study sounds exciting.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I think this sounds great! im really pleased that more work is being done by serious doctors and researchers who are dedicated to finding a cause and treatment for M.E. Good on them.

Frank

I've heard De Meirleir got some funding from the Australian army for research on GWS, maybe Peterson too.

Sing

I think this is good news. Sounds as though he can draw on resources in Australia, which hasn't had much going on yet in terms of research (far as I know). Look, a number of people have been working largely on their own, developing their ideas and the approach that seems most key to them. Think of hunting dogs, as a metaphor. Let them fan out and try to pick up the scent. Maybe later on, when one of these scientists, doctors or clinics picks up an undeniable trail, the others will start to coordinate more in a teamwork manner. It is a process! At least he hasn't quit the field and just retired, but is taking the initiative to pursue his own hypotheses. I am for cheering them all on!

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I think it's good news too. The funds that he will get would probably be new sources, probably not donating to WPI currently, so this should bring in new money, new ideas into the field. And we need all the ideas and people working on them as we can get.

Hope123

I'm not of the thought that the more the merrier.
For one thing, we can barely raise money for the WPI.
Maybe Peterson has his own private funding but, if that was the case, where was this money while he was part of WPI?
In addition, most of the players in the field have differing views and we are pulled in so many directions with no clear cut results.
For me as a patient, who is totally confused, having another contrasting view just adds to the frustration.
I believe, they would serve the patient community much better and efficiently if they would pool all their resources and knowledge and work in unison.
Unfortunately, this will never happen because there are too many ego's involved who are more concerned about getting recognition than working for the benefit of finding answers that could actually help us.

Agreed. We have a few groups working already; we need coordination more than we need another new group. I don't have a whole lot of confidence that this new charity has new untapped sources of funding. Rather it will likely draw away funds from other groups.

eric_s

The problem i have is that we have seen some actions that i would describe as hostile. Many players and new funds are certainly a good thing, but i don't think we need what we have seen a couple of times in the last one and a half year.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I think it's good news, too. We need different groups because replication studies require other groups (thinking of other things besides XMRV/MLV's--replicating NK cell diagnostics, for instance, would be great!).

We do also need a spirit of cooperation, among everyone. It's not just these two--many of our researchers have been basically been off in their little corner, doing their own thing, looking at a different aspect and not integrating their research or checking to see if their patients are the same as someone else's with a different biomedical finding.

Those of you that pray, please pray for cooperation. And funding. We need both those things to subdivide this group of ME/CFS so we can get to the bottom of this and make better progress and actually start assessing people and treating intelligently.

I think we should give both research groups the benefit of the doubt. We don't really know why the split happened, and we may never know. I feel sad that they couldn't work together for whatever reason, but that doesn't necessarily make anyone a bad guy. Not everyone is a good fit for a business relationship with everyone else.

What we do know, is that both Dr. Peterson and everyone at WPI are doing their best to find answers for us. We know they all have good hearts.

Let's go forward from here.

eric_s

It's nothing personal and i probably won't continue this discussion on and on, because i don't want to stress people on this thread, but i think somebody has done "bad" things here. And also i think we will know who, one day. Because it depends very much on the XMRV/MRV question and probably this question will be answered sooner or later.
I think that if you participate in a study, like Peterson has done, that will get your former partners in big trouble, you should make an effort to try to bring them in, so they could try to work out why they aren't finding XMRV now, in the same subjects. Unless maybe you are totally sure they were wrong.
Also what happened between Konstance Knox and the WPI according to Annette Whittemore's letter was not ok.
We don't know for sure who, at this moment, but i think somebody has done things that are not right.

liquid sky

I hope Peterson is working for the patients and not for the big money. It is not good that he worked with Knox, who was accused of stealing intellectual property from the WPI, to debunk xmrv in ME/CFS. They also changed the variables used to detect xmrv compared to Lombardi.

If ME/CFS is caused by a retrovirus, and I believe it is, they are not helping us at all.

Enid

Anything as long as it adds to and reveals all the pathology and cause of ME/CFS. Article todays Daily Telegraph "View from the Lab" - Prof Steve Jones (Genetics UCL) on "Free Radicals - the secret anarchy of science - bitchy infighting is rife......personal dislike and prejudice determine who gets the grant, chair or Nobel Prize - that's science full of humans. Infighting is their problem - ours is ME/CFS totally understand.