• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HTLV 1 & 2 Antibody Test Online?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I have no idea what thread to put this question under. I apologize if I put it in the wrong place.

Does anyone know where I can purchase an HTLV 1 & 2 antibody test online that is reliable? There are a few people in my family with CFS, but there are several with FMS. I would like to find an antibody test for the Human T-Cell Lymphoma Virus 1 & 2 because of this:

Journal of Rhuematology,2006 Nov;33(11):2300-3

Higher prevalence of fibromyalgia in patients infected with human T cell lymphotropic virus type I.

Cruz BA, Catalan-Soares B, Proietti F.

SourceRheumatology Department, Biocor Instituto, Nova Lima, Minas Gerais, Brazil. boriscruz@terra.com.br

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Inflammatory rheumatic conditions including rheumatoid arthritis and Sjgren's syndrome have been reported in individuals infected with human T cell lymphotropic virus type I (HTLV-I). Other chronic lymphotropic virus infections such as hepatitis C and human immunodeficiency virus are associated with fibromyalgia (FM). There are no reports about the association between HTLV-I infection and FM. We evaluated the association between FM and HTLV-I infection.

METHODS: We conducted a case-control study with prevalent cases. Ex-blood donation candidates with HTLV-I infection from a blood bank cohort, and healthy blood donors as a control group, were submitted to rheumatologic evaluation to compare the prevalence of FM. The following covariables were also evaluated: other rheumatic diseases, age, sex, personal income, level of education, and depression.

RESULTS: One hundred individuals with HTLV-I infection and 62 non-infected blood donors were studied. Thirty-eight (38%) HTLV-I infected individuals and 3 (4.8%) individuals from the control group presented the diagnosis of FM (OR 12.05, 95% CI 3.53-41.17). Other rheumatic diseases were also more prevalent in the infected group (37% vs 12.9%; OR 3.80, 95% CI 1.63-8.86). In multivariate analysis adjusted by the covariables, the association between HTLV-I and FM was statistically significant (OR 9.14, 95% CI 2.42-34.52).

CONCLUSION: Our study shows a greater prevalence of FM in HTLV-I infected individuals, suggesting that FM may be associated with this viral infection.

PMID:17086610[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Publication Types, MeSH TermsPublication TypesResearch Support, Non-U.S. Gov'tMeSH TermsCase-Control StudiesFemaleFibromyalgia/epidemiologyFibromyalgia/ virology*HTLV-I Infections/complications*HTLV-I Infections/epidemiologyHuman T-lymphotropic virus 1/immunology*HumansMaleMiddle AgedPrevalence

Please let me know if you know of a good reliable test I can purchase by myself. I am tired of doctors and don't want to try and convince them to draw blood for this test. They'll just add my request to my "crazy list" and refuse to do it.

I'm sure you have a labcorp around you. You can use http://www.privatemdlabs.com/lab_tests.php?view=search_results to order the test and just go to any lapcorp with a print out of the lab form. Looks like the antibody test is $400, you can get a discount by taking a quick survey in the upper right. I've used the site before to get lab work done so I can vouch that it is legit., just pricey as you can't use insurance, although funny enough a lot of the tests are cheaper than if you got your Dr to get the tests without insurance...

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I can vouch for privatemdlabs.com as well. There is another site that works identical and depending on the test it may be a little cheaper, but they both use labcorp . This other site is "labsmd.com". I have used both and I was very pleased with both of them.

I have had EBV and HHV-6 antibody test run at various times and the results varied quite a good bit. I think viruses that have the ability to have periods of latency can at any particular time may test negative and a month later test positive. The labs, such as Labcorp, Quest and other high through put labs are not 100% accurate either ( I don't think any lab is 100%) depending on which virus they are looking for.

If money is an issue, Quest Diagnostics, has Patient Assistance Program where as LabCorp does not.

Good Luck

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Does anyone know what the difference between the two following tests are?

TEST 1
Human T-Cell Lymphotropic Virus I, II (HTLV-I/HTLV-II) Antibodies, Preliminary Test W/ Confirmation $398.49 Info Add To Cart
Description:
Human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV) is a human retrovirus that causes T-cell leukemia and T-cell lymphoma as well as other diseases. HTLV can be transferred via sexual intercourse and by intraveneous drug users. This test will screen patients for infection with human T-lymphotropic virus and, if positive, confirm infection with either HTLV-I or HTLV-II.

A significant deviation from the normal range may require further evaluation by your physician.

Includes:HTLV-I/HTLV-II

Categories: Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD's)

TEXT 2
Description:
HTLV-1, a human type C retrovirus, is associated with adult T-cell leukemia, tropical spastic paraparesis, and other demyelinating and neoplastic conditions. More recently, HTLV-1 infection has been shown to be associated with T- and B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemias (CLL), multiple myeloma, some cases of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, polymyositis, arthritis, Kaposi sarcoma, uveitis, strongyloidiasis, and mycosis fungoides.

This test is also known as: HTLV-I/HTLV-II

Includes:Human T-Cell Lymphotropic Virus I, II (HTLV-I/HTLV-II), Qualitative

Categories: Infectious Diseases

Price: $198.99 Add To Cart

Price: $398.49 Add To Cart