• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DSM IV proposed reforms for DSM 5: URGENT: Submissions needed NOW. Help is here!

richvank

Hi, all.

Here's what I just sent to the APA, and to Suzy:

"Dear APA:

I have been conducting research and consulting on cases of what has been called myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome for the past 15 years. As a result of this experience, there is no question in my mind that this disorder has an organic, physiological basis and is not a mental illness. While patients suffering from this disorder may indeed experience anxiety and major concern about their illness, and may devote full-time effort to attempting to regain their health, which appear to be the suggested criteria for the proposed "Complex Somatic Symptom Disorder," it seems to me that these are perfectly normal responses to having an illness that is not well understood by the medical establishment and for which the suggested treatments are only cognitive behavioral therapy and antidepressants, which provide limited help at best. I suggest that a person who had ME/CFS and did not respond in some of these ways would truly be in need of psychiatric help. My concern is that this proposed new category of mental illness could very easily be applied to sufferers of ME/CFS, to their detriment. Once a patient is labeled as having a psychiatric disorder, physicians by and large cease to consider organic, physiological causes for their illness. While this may increase the number of office visits to psychiatrists, it would be a major disservice to these patients. Please reject this vaguely worded diagnosis.

Best regards,

Richard A. Van Konynenburg, Ph.D.

Independent Researcher and Consultant on Cases of
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

Rich

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx

DSM-5 Web Site Period for Comments has Been Extended to July 15!

"We are extending the period for submitting comments and suggestions to the web site regarding the proposed diagnostic criteria revisions, and the newly proposed organizational structure for DSM-5. We are appreciative of the ongoing interest in contributing to this process and are extending the period for submittng comments until July 15th. This extension will also permit reviews and comments for the newly proposed criteria and approach for the assessment of Personality Disorders, which are now being uploaded to the website for release. Our thanks to those who have already provided contributions to this interactive process."

Well, there you go...

So, those of you who did not submit now have another 4 weeks in which to submit a response. I want to see thousands telling the APA why they need to rip up these proposals and start again.