• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Let's talk mushrooms for NK cell function/immunity

kday

Paul Stamets has been traveling around giving lectures about mushrooms lately.

Has anyone tried products of his? I know the quality is important, and I think it's safe to say that Stamets knows what he is doing.

I started taking mushrooms myself, but I've been looking at his brand: Host Defense MyCommunity capsules.

http://fungi.com/supplements/capsules.html

There are a couple of CFIDS reviewers on iHerb for this product. This is what they say:

Helps get thruogh the day

This marvelous mushroom product helps my husband who has Chronic Fatigue and Immune Disfunction. He has used it for at least two years & does not want to be without it, although it costs more than a doctor's prescription whould on our health plan.

amazing!

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and Epstein-Barr. I usually have to take a 15-20 minute nap on my lunch break at work as well as again when I get home from work. I've done this for years to help me cope with the tiredness that hits me like a ton of bricks. I used to take another product with 10 medicinal mushrooms in it and even at full dose it took a week to do the same as what this product did after only 2 days. With this product I notice a tremendous effect on my energy levels. I can also feel my sinuses opening up and I'm breathing easier. I'm literally blown away at how powerful this product is!

Considering there isn't too many reviews of his products, I think it's interesting that a couple people with CFIDS were compelled to write reviews in iHerb.

http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=fungi+perfect+host+defense+mycommunity

And for some entertainment, here is an interesting Ted Talk from Paul Stamets about Fungi.

[video=youtube;XI5frPV58tY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI5frPV58tY[/video]

And this give you an idea of his growroom:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/paulstamets#p/u/25/X5W0G1_A1fs[/video]

leaves

These are the ones recommended to me by Klimas: Immpower (AHCC) or immune essentials (swanson) havent tried yet. I have heard real good stories about liver life (Bioray) from ASD forums.

kday

And FYI: I am on Reishi, Maittake, Turkey Tail, and ImmPower AHCC. I was also considering adding EpiCor and/or PSK. I take them all separately (i.e. not a complex). I can't comment much because I just started them last night. I will try to keep updates on my NK cell numbers. I May order Host Defense MyCommunity as I run out of my other stuff.

Go big or go home!

New regimen:
Doxycycline, Zithromax, pulsed Tindamax, Lauricidin (monolaurin), Houttyania cordata (extremely poweful for me), Equillibrant (oxymatrine), Enteric coated probiotics (Jarrow brand), and all those Mushrooms.

Methylation and lots of B12 very important.

Oh, right, 1-2 miles a day of exercise is on my regimen now as well.

If little progress with immune function, I might try cycloferon.

Took me quite a long time to tolerate the die-off from the antibacterial stuff, but now it's cake. I figure I just gotta strengthen the immune system now, and knocking down all the potential reactivated viruses with Lauricidin and Oxymatrine might help with that.

I plan to knock this thing out and enter remission. I'm too young to live like this.

Now the real challenge will be repairing the CNS. :(

SOC

These are the ones recommended to me by Klimas: Immpower (AHCC) or immune essentials (swanson) havent tried yet. I have heard real good stories about liver life (Bioray) from ASD forums.

How much does she recommend -- the standard dose (1-2g) or something higher?

leaves

She didn't say. I learned the hard way that I should slowly build up stuff.

kday

Where can you buy the houttyania cordata??
Oh, I get it from Sinomed Research from Dr. Zhang.

I use it specifically for Bartonella (I have the scars and everything), and it's very powerful for me. It inhibits HIV-1 as well, and if I am dealing with a retrovirus, perhaps the enormous die-off is related to its activity. I can only guess.

I don't think it's worth the money unless you are dealing with Bartonella or something else it's highly active against. And even then, it may only work for certain strains. It doesn't seem extremely broad spectrum in its activity.

However, it is a pharmaceutical in China and used in Chinese hospitals IV and IM.

I think I read somewhere that it can may be able to suppress herpes viruses, but I don't know how reliable that information is.

leaves

I found that they sell it at vitacost and also at Chinese herbs direct. Not too expensive at all. Might try it sometime.

SOC

She didn't say. I learned the hard way that I should slowly build up stuff.

Thank you, leaves. I'll start low and go slow. Did you have a die-off type reaction, or was it a reaction to the ingredients of Immpower itself, do you think?

leaves

oh I havent done any shrooms yet.. its just because I had such a severe (and permanent?) setback from the immunovir and I think the stubborn continuing on the high dose was not helpful.. the immunovir is also supposed to improve NK funciton; for me it did the exact opposite, my function was pretty good now it is like non existent

kday

oh I havent done any shrooms yet.. its just because I had such a severe (and permanent?) setback from the immunovir and I think the stubborn continuing on the high dose was not helpful.. the immunovir is also supposed to improve NK funciton; for me it did the exact opposite, my function was pretty good now it is like non existent
Perhaps it woke up the immune system enough to stir up bacterial infections or viruses? At this point, unless we attack the underlying cause(s), I just don't believe the body can't fight all this crap on its own without some assistance.

ukxmrv

Mushrooms even as a supplement are a no-no for me. They make me feel spaced out, dizzy with terrible brain fog, also nausea/vomiting. I've always assumed that I am allergic to them.

Forebearance

Wow. Go, kday!

I take "seven precious mushroom extract" and it has been helpful. It has calmed down the increased inflammation that happens when I kill things with Lauricidin. Dr. Gordon was puzzled by that effect, as he thought mushrooms should do the opposite.

Charles555nc in the GcMAF thread posted recently that mushroom extracts increase macrophage activity, which is also what GcMAF does. Is it possible that mushrooms may do something similar to GcMAF? Except they are probably gentler, I suppose.

leaves

Hi Kday, I just got the mushroom mix you mentioned (liquid) my community. I started with 1/4 of the recommended dose. Am a bit nervous about it. We'll see

Where can you buy the houttyania cordata??

I would just grow it at home. I have it growing here. They put it in salads in my wife's country. Takes a bit if getting used to at first as it is rather fishy tasting....nicknamed "fish herb". However once you get used to that it kinda taste good. If you do grow it be aware that it is very invasive and should only be potted not planted in the ground.

kday

Hi Kday, I just got the mushroom mix you mentioned (liquid) my community. I started with 1/4 of the recommended dose. Am a bit nervous about it. We'll see

Sweet. I am going to order it once I am running low on my other stuff. I couldn't tell you if what I am taking does any good or bad at this point since I have had more days of feeling bad and feverish (without a fever of course!) since I started a bunch of stuff around the same time. But yesterday I felt quite good and clear.

I am taking New Chapter at the moment, and I think Stamets left them to produce a better quality product exactly the way he wants it (and perhaps make more money?).

aquariusgirl

leaves.. a bit off topic....but what does dr klimas say about yr reaction to Immunovir?
I seem to recall at least one other person reacting badly/suffering a setback from that immune modulator.

leaves

she said that is was very unusual and that I am atypical. :-| I dont know as I have heard from several others that couldnt tolerate it either, but thats what she said.