• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you get fevers? Ever?

Athene

ihateticks.me
I know some people with CFS get fevers at night on a frequent basis. Others never get fever at all.

I never had a fever for the last 5 years, even in the depths of terrible flu that would last up to 6 weeks.

Last week I got a cold/flu like infection and had a fever of 38 for 2 days, that would not subside.
What do you think about this? Do you think this is a good sign?

I wondered if my immune system was suddenly working again in ways it had been unable to do for ages. (Those who know me from other threads may know I have been on huge antibiotic therapy for about 6 months to treat several bacterial infections)

I'd like to know how many people get frequent fevers without an acute infection, and how many never get fevers no matter what they have.

Countrygirl

Hi Athene,

I haven't been able to run a proper fever for the 30 years I have had ME. In all that time I haven't developed the symptoms of a cold (prior to ME onset, I had very frequent chest infections, which abruptly stopped) and even when I appear to have the flu my temperature struggles to reach normal or just above when pre-ME I could achieve a 'healthy' 104 degrees. Last year, I was infected with the Norovirus and while everyone around me had projectile vomiting and other problems I will leave to your imagination :eek: all my immune system could achieve were mild stomach spasms and slight nausea...............it was the only time I was grateful for having ME.

I have always wondered if being able to develop the symptoms of a cold or running a decent fever would be a sign that the ME was abating. I hope that this is true for you as it is sounding hopeful.

The only exception to this is that the ME causes me to feel a little fluey at times: swollen glands, sore throat and a sense of feeling mildly feverish, especially after exercise, but it in no way compares with a normal immune response to an infection.

I really hope this is a sign of recovery for you.

All the best,

C.G.

ukxmrv

My onset was with a terrible fever, sweating etc and then reoccurred for years. My core temperature however dropped really low and it meant that over time the high temperatures were "only" high relative to these.

Then after about 10 years I stopped sweating altogether and the high temperatures became less and less. I've had blocks of years where I do get colds, flus etc and blocks of years where I don't.

There used to be a theory that once the pattern changed we might get better but my disease level is still very bad and it's just been a question of other symptoms becoming more prominent.

XMRV+

i get fevers constantly. daily. low grade. besides motrin is there anything to do about this. it is very bothersome to me.

anciendaze

I had repeated episodes of 'strep throat' early in my illness, accompanied by swollen glands and fever. I have not been able to register a fever in the last 16 years.

Added: During the time when I was taken temperatures, my normal was closer to 96.8 F than 98.6 F. At clinics, this may have been aggravated by long waits in cold waiting rooms. Nurses have accused me of breathing through my mouth when using a thermometer. That went away when they compared with measurements via my ear. The low normal temperature is not considered significant. After years with no temperature, high or low, being significant, I quit taking temperatures.

LaurelW

I haven't gotten a fever since I developed hypothyroid in my 20s. My normal temperature is fairly low, 96.1. I've always wondered if it was due to some immune system abnormality.

Nielk

My regular temperate is very low. I too have not have fever for the past nine years of my illness.(except once)
do "feel" feverish often but, when I check my temperature it's normal or below normal.
In the past nine years I have only gotten "sick" (other than CFS) 3 times.
Twice with bronchitis and now with ear infection. I have had an ear infection foe three weeks with no fever but, feeling very sick. I went through 2 rounds of antibiotics and one round of steroids but, it's still there.

Why don't we get fevers?

Athene

ihateticks.me
Apparently, the hypothalamus initiates a fever and triggers it by releasing something called prostaglandin E2.

The Wikipedia article about fevers is interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever

Oddly enough, this same prostaglandin is what opens the uterus at the start of labour. I had absolutely no contractions of labour whatsoever when pregnant, even when they tried to induce (by putting a synthetic version of this on the cervix).
I think maybe our bodies not only stop producing this stuff, but also stop reacting to it???

Some types of bacteria can cause their own fever by releasing other substances that act on the body, without this prostaglandin, e.g. malaria. If I understand rightly, these are the illnesses where you can get an out of control fever that kills you.

drex13

I can only recall having had a fever 2 times in the last 10 years. One was in the hospital right after I had back surgery and the other was a few years ago when I had a cellulitis infection. Other than that, never. My body temperature is normally around 97.4. I also never throw up ( unless I've had general anesthesia), though sometimes I wish I could. When everyone else has a stomach virus and is puking their guts out, I get pain, nausea, cramps, but never throw up. I also used to get strep throat alot as a kid and into high school, and even had scarlet fever once.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I do not run fevers or get much signs and symptoms of bugs. Not since a severe gastritis (well after the onset of ME). I have chills and feel fevered, but the thermometer says not. My family gets a stomach bug, and I get a little extra nauseated and feel generally worse, but not the more overt signs of it.

The one time since when my body desperately wanted to run a fever, the best it could do was intermittent 99 F.

If I understood the Jason review correctly, this may have to do with the Th2 immune shift that some of us have.

internet privacy disclaimer: This is private information posted here only for ME/CFS patients, carers, and their families, and is not to be posted elsewhere or used for purposes other than to directly benefit individual ME/CFS patients. Please respect our privacy. Thank you.

zoe.a.m.

My onset 10 years ago began with a fever of 100-102 which eventually turned into a low-grade fever (about a year later) and my temp (normal) had been about 98.6 for years and then moved down and settled at about 97.4-97.8. I have gotten a fever as high as 104 3 times with flu-like symptoms. For almost ten years (shorter duration and less frequent in the past 3 or 4), I always have a low-grade fever of 99-101. I first assumed bacterial infections, then viral and now I suspect they're actually fungal, but sometimes (I abide by the Chinese Medical theory) I am certain they are the mark of overall physiologic function and energy (like borrowing against an empty bank account), otherwise known as qi deficiency. I never encountered that idea until my starting TCM work, but it's held true for me and kind of blew my mind that qi-tonifying herbs (and not something to clear infection) actually made the fever finally abate. I've gotten to know the difference by now when they are deficiency fevers or infection fevers (or I find out within a few days. In the past year or so, my "normal" temp has gone back up over 98.

Another thing of interest with the qi deficiency fevers is that I usually do not get much in the way of outward symptoms when I do get flus or colds or infections. My acupuncturist explained that, and the inability to get a higher fever, as the body not having enough resources to launch an attack, and that actually getting a bunch of phlegm, a cough, fever, or other acute symptoms show that an immune system is actually strong enough to do some work.

girlinthesnow

Apparently, the hypothalamus initiates a fever and triggers it by releasing something called prostaglandin E2.

The Wikipedia article about fevers is interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever

Oddly enough, this same prostaglandin is what opens the uterus at the start of labour. I had absolutely no contractions of labour whatsoever when pregnant, even when they tried to induce (by putting a synthetic version of this on the cervix).
I think maybe our bodies not only stop producing this stuff, but also stop reacting to it???

Some types of bacteria can cause their own fever by releasing other substances that act on the body, without this prostaglandin, e.g. malaria. If I understand rightly, these are the illnesses where you can get an out of control fever that kills you.

This is fascinating Athene, I didn't have natural contractions, didn't go into labour at all. The doctor broke my waters and then injected me with high dose oxytocin. I had intense pain but labour didn't progress and had a cesarean after 30 hours.

edit: This was at 43 weeks, so very overdue.

I have a very low temperature, typically 35 celsius but can drop to 34 and never gets above 36, which feels feverish to me. It was normal before M.E.

Lala

There is something on it...I have never had fever for last 15 years till this year. In January I caught an influenza from my partner, who had 40 C. I had over 39 C first time after all those years. In other aspects I dealt very well with this influenza. So maybe immune system started working again?

Francelle

Havent had a cold or fever since I first got M.E./Fibromyalgia in 2007, even though there are times when I get a sore throat and feel sniffly but it never progresses to anything more.

pine108kell

The first years I was ill, I never got any acute illnesses or fever and also did not sweat.

Then I when I started feeling somewhat better I started getting illness frequently but no fever.

Now, I've had two fevers the past year, after nearly decade with none. I am not feeling generally better though. Nevertheless, I was glad to get the fever as it is one of the only times there is some objective measure to indicate I was ill and that SOMETHING had changed. That is strange way to feel, isn't it? Such is life with CFS.

Athene

ihateticks.me
It's interesting how many of us sometimes feel exactly as if we have a fever, but the thermometer says no. I get that a lot.

Pine108kell, are you haveing any special/new treatment that could be connected with suddenly getting these fevers? Lala and I are both having antibiotic treatment for bacterial infections. I don't know what she thinks, but I am convinced this is connected with my sudden ability to get a fever again.

girlinthesnow, that's also really interesting that your pregnancy went like mine. I also went on to 43 weeks. I'd like to know how many other CFs pregnancies result in cesarian delivery...

Zoe, I'm interested in the Chinese theory you explained. Do you know any websites about that which give more info?

Boule de feu

I go from 96.7 (when I get up) to 99.6 (around noon). By then, I feel really awful.
It doesn't happen every day but when I'm a bit more active - like now, typing on the computer.
At 99.2, I get severe chills + red and burning cheeks. Constant nausea and sore throat (going on five years now). Most times, it feels like a strept throat and I need to numb it. When I get above 99 F, I feel like I've been poisoned and I start coughing. My lungs are burning.
The only way to get rid of it is to lie down and sleep. If I succeed, I'm okay for a little while until evening. Then, by 7:30, I get major inflammation in my feet, hands, head. I'm itchy all over. It burns. I wish it would go away.

I'm wondering if it's caused by something I eat or just because I'm too tired and my body sends me a signal to slow down.

Boule de feu

It's interesting how many of us sometimes feel exactly as if we have a fever, but the thermometer says no. I get that a lot.

Pine108kell, are you haveing any special/new treatment that could be connected with suddenly getting these fevers? Lala and I are both having antibiotic treatment for bacterial infections. I don't know what she thinks, but I am convinced this is connected with my sudden ability to get a fever again.

girlinthesnow, that's also really interesting that your pregnancy went like mine. I also went on to 43 weeks. I'd like to know how many other CFs pregnancies result in cesarian delivery...

Zoe, I'm interested in the Chinese theory you explained. Do you know any websites about that which give more info?

I had two cesarian deliveries with gestational diabetes.
It's not that I've not tried to do it otherwise (26 hours in both cases).
They tried to induce me - I had an allergic reaction (started contracting non-stop - it almost killed my daughter)
and I also had an allergic reaction to the epidural.

I don't get fevers. Have had cfs for roughly 20 years. No matter the cold or flu, no fever. If I am extra sick I will "run hot," but never measures beyond about 98.6. I sometimes wish I could get one to knock out an infection. Have thought for a long time, though, that my immune system just doesn't have the strength to create a fever.

Good Thread! :)