Check out our IOM Contract Forum for the latest news and to join the campaign.
Demonstrations in San Francisco Dec 9th and Washington D.C. Dec 10th
How to Start Your Own Group
Groups are a great way for members with similar interests to have their own space to discuss these interests. A Group can be about anything as long the topic falls within the Forum Rules. Members can create public, moderated, or private groups.
To Start Your Group
- Click on the 'Groups' tab
- Click on 'Create Group'
- Add the name of your group
- Type a description of your group in the text box being as thorough as possible
- Select the category you want your group to be associated with:
- Choose the color of the title of your group by clicking on the text box beside 'Group Color'
- Choose what type of group you would like to create:
Public Groups: any member can join a Public Group; simply click on 'join' and you will become a member of the group
Moderated Groups: to join a moderated group, click on 'join' and the member who started the group will approve you
Private Groups: the owner of the group has to invite you to be part of this group
- Click on 'Create'
A Private Group will not be listed publicly in the 'Groups' list.
How to Find Your Private Group:
- Hover your mouse over the 'Groups' tab and then hover your mouse over the down arrow that appears
- You will see:
- Click on 'My Groups'
To Invite members to join your Private Group:
Open your group, you will see the Group Controls Menu:
- Click on 'Invite user to the group'
- Add members you wish to invite to the text box
- Click on 'Save Changes'
NOTE: A member will ONLY see the invitation if they click on the 'Groups' tab
After you have invited a member to join your group, you might want to send them a Private Message (Start a Conversation) in case they miss the invitation on the Groups page
If a member accepts your invitation, you will see their avatar appear on your groups page
- Leaving a group means that you longer wish to be a member
- When you click on 'Leave Group', you will see a message:
- Click on 'Leave Group' if you no longer wish to participate in the group
This is where you can edit your group
'Edit Group' has the same options as when you initially created your group except you can give your group a 'Group Icon' by uploading a picture from your computer:
- Click on 'Upload a Group Icon;
- Click on 'Choose File'
- Click on the file you want to add from your computer
- Click on 'Open'
- Click on 'Save' and your group icon will be added
IGNORE the 'Group Tile' option has it has presently has no functionality.
When you click on this, you will see a list of the members that belong to your group
- Click on their username to find out more about them
- Click on 'Promote to Leader' if you want a member to be a co-leader.
- Click on 'Demote', if you no longer wish another member to be a leader in your group.
- Click on 'Kick from group' if you no longer want a member participating in your group (Note: if you kick a member out of your group for inappropriate behavior, please report this to the moderators). When you kick a member out of your group, their avatar will disappear from your groups page. The group leader can delete their posts if necessary.
Invite User to the Group:
- This has been explained in the 'Private Groups' section
- If you click on this option, your group will be deleted permanently:
- Click on 'Delete Group' if you are sure this is the action you want to take
To Create a Thread
- Open the group
- Click on 'Create a Thread'
- Give your message a title
- Add your message
- Click on 'Post'
To Post on a Thread
- Open the group
- Click on the name of the thread that you wish to post on
- Type your message in the editing box
- Click on 'Post Reply'
PLEASE NOTE: The first line of a post in a private group will show up in a member's news feed. To prevent this from occurring:
- Click on your username
- Click on 'Privacy' in the drop down menu
- Deselect the option for 'Receive your news feeds'
- Click on 'Save'