6. Searching the Forum
SEARCHING THE FORUM
Searching For a Particular Topic
- Type the topic of what you want to search in the search box
- Fill in the fields and click 'search'
- If you click on 'More...', you will be able to search everything, search threads and posts, or search profile posts. You can also choose what forums you want to search in etc.
If you click the down arrow beside 'More..' (found by clicking on 'Search'), you will find some options for 'Useful Searches'
- Click on 'Recent Threads' if you would like to see a list of recently updated threads
- Click on 'Your Threads' if you would like to see a list of all the threads you have created
- Click on 'Your Posts' if you would like to see a list of all your posts
- Click on 'Your Profile Posts' if you would like to see posts on your profile page
Finding All My Posts (or Someone Else's)
- You can find your own posts by clicking on your name in the menu bar and clicking on 'Your Content' in the drop down menu
- You can find somebody else's posts by going to their profile page and clicking on 'Postings'
- You can also find posts by clicking on an avatar, when the pop-up appears, if you click on the number beside 'messages', a list of their posts will appear
Finding new Posts/Threads
- Clicking on the 'What's New?' tab shows all threads that have unread posts starting with the most recent post
- If you re-visit this page later, the message 'Threads below this have not been updated since your last visit but have unread messages' will show
- If you click on the 'forum' tab, you can also click on the 'what's new' option in the drop down menu
- The 'New Threads' box in the sidebar at the right-hand side of the forum shows the most recently created threads in the order they were created.
Searching within Threads
- Go to a thread
- Click on 'Search' for options
- Choose the option for 'Search this thread only'
Finding the last message in a thread
- Click on the time/date stamp in the 'Last Message' column beside any thread (furthest column on the right-hand side of the page)
Finding the first unread post in a thread
- Open the thread
- Look at the top of the page, just under the title of the thread
- If there are unread posts, you will see 'Go to first unread' post
- If you have no unread posts, you will not see it
- If you click on the thread title, you will be taken the first message that was posted since your last visit
- If you want to start at the beginning of the thread, click the date below the thread title. It is the date the thread was started, and clicking it takes you to the first message, first page