• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc transporter on Promethease APP

aquariusgirl

Hi, the updated version of Promethease has flagged a zinc transporter for me. Says it's associated with diabetes. Wondering if others have seen this? I am C/C for this Snp.

rs13266634 is a SNP in the zinc transporter protein member 8 SLC30A8 gene that has primarily been associated with type-2 diabetes in several studies. This SNP is also known as the Arg325Trp or R325W variant; the (C) allele encodes the arginine (R), and the (T) allele encodes the tryptophan (W)

Ravn

C/C
Do any of the more science-literate members know the importance (or otherwise) of this?

alicec

C/C is the wildtype or ancestral allele and the most common with a frequency of about 0.715.

In other words that variant is protective so the normal allele becomes "risk".

Since the protein is a zinc transporter it suggests that the variant may do a better job of getting zinc where it is needed.

Here is a paper which suggests that the T2D risk may be reduced by high zinc intake and high zinc to iron intake.

Last edited: