Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Zinc transporter on Promethease APP

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by aquariusgirl, Jan 12, 2018.

1. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

Hi, the updated version of Promethease has flagged a zinc transporter for me. Says it's associated with diabetes. Wondering if others have seen this? I am C/C for this Snp.

rs13266634 is a SNP in the zinc transporter protein member 8 SLC30A8 gene that has primarily been associated with type-2 diabetes in several studies. This SNP is also known as the Arg325Trp or R325W variant; the (C) allele encodes the arginine (R), and the (T) allele encodes the tryptophan (W)

Ravn likes this.
  2. Ravn

Ravn

New Zealand
    C/C
    Do any of the more science-literate members know the importance (or otherwise) of this?

3. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    C/C is the wildtype or ancestral allele and the most common with a frequency of about 0.715.

In other words that variant is protective so the normal allele becomes "risk".

Since the protein is a zinc transporter it suggests that the variant may do a better job of getting zinc where it is needed.

Here is a paper which suggests that the T2D risk may be reduced by high zinc intake and high zinc to iron intake.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Ravn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.