Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Zinc Picolinate and Insomnia

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by GreenMachineX, Mar 16, 2018.

1. GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

I’ve been battling insomnia (terminal variety, waking up at 2am for good) for about 2 months. I’ve also been experimenting with zinc picolinate during that time. I’ve taken zinc carnosine, zinc aspartate, zinc bisglycinate and others over the years with no problem. I had no idea zinc picolinate could cause sleep issues, but I ceased taking it about 1 week ago and gradually my sleep improved until 2 days ago I got a full 8 hours without any sleep support at all! Then, yesterday, thinking that my angular cheilitis is caused by zinc deficiency, took 30mg before bed and have been awake since 2am again! I also get other symptoms like wanting to grind my jaw and fidget.

Does zinc do this to anyone else, particularly the picolinate version?

2. Sundancer

Sundancer Senior Member

Holland
    yes, it does to me. I think zinc picolinate is one of the better absorb-able forms. I had this effect with zinc methionin.

The naturopath whom I told this said: zinc has an effect on the strength of the ' glue' with which endorphins stick to the receptor-cells. When the endorphinic ( endogenous opioid) system is weak, this 'un-glueing' leads to too much 'lessening' of contact between endorphin and receptor-cells, so creating stress/fidgety/high muscle-tension/ craving to ( former) addictive substances ( sugar/alcohol/smoking/chocolate, you name it. Your 'soother')

I cannot today explain it any plainer, sorry...

he had research to underpin this, but I can't link it for you, I should have to search foor it and I'm sort of crashed these days

I even had that effect with 1 mg then stopped. Soon I'll try again.

GreenMachineX likes this.
  3. GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Gotcha. You kind of warned me about this in that other thread too, and completely forgot until now. I’m going to stop it for a few days to get caught back up on sleep and then test zinc l-carnosine. I recent took it for about 6 months without any issues and stopped 2 months ago when I stopped everything. I’m hoping it’s just the picolinate that is bad for me and not zinc. I was sure yesterday that the lack of zinc has caused my angular cheilitis but now I don’t know lol. Getting this stuff sorted out is almost a full time job!

What crashed you recently?

4. GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Also, how long have you noticed the zinc stimulation feeling to last once stopping it?

5. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    I’ve read that zinc inhibits absorption of calcium and magnesium which are both needed for good sleep. That might be what’s happening.

@GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX likes this.
  6. GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Thanks. But do you mean when it’s consumed at the same time or doesn’t matter when?

7. soundasacrystal

soundasacrystal

I just experienced the same problem last night after taking 30 mgs zinc pic in the afternoon. Zero sleep last night and now I'm having palpitations. It's so irritating because I desperately need it to overcome this cough I've had for 6 weeks. My lungs felt so much better after the zinc, but now I can't have it. I feel so defeated and hopeless right now.

8. GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

I’ve given up on zinc pic, but having great success with ZMA which has zinc monomethione, magnesium aspartate and b6.

soundasacrystal likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.