• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc gluconate?

Rand56

I found this info quite interesting....

"Note that many zinc products also contain another metal called cadmium. This is because zinc and cadmium are chemically similar and often occur together in nature. Exposure to high levels of cadmium over a long time can lead to kidney failure. The concentration of cadmium in zinc-containing supplements can vary as much as 37-fold. Look for zinc-gluconate products. Zinc gluconate consistently contains the lowest cadmium levels."

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...iveIngredientId=982&activeIngredientName=ZINC

This is a bit disturbing since I've never taken the gluconate version before and currently taking zinc picolinate. I suppose it is what it is. I know zinc binds to cadmium but how the heck does one know how much unbound zinc one is getting in a capsule.

Do atleast the more reputable supplement companies test for the amount of cadmium in their zinc supps?

Anyone had any success using zinc gluconate raising their zinc status?

Rand