• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc + B6 (and few others), was it overmethylation?

Thanks for responding I'm still interested if anyone is able to tell me if my interpretation is correct I'm trying to work out if I have a reaction to zinc picolinate and why.

Hey guys thanks for replying, interesting....

I'd still like to find out if my interpretation of the above quote is correct because my main issue is trying to narrow down if Zinc picolinate could be actually making me worse and why... just hard to understand the medical jargon :)

picante

Any other suggestions?

I've been using liquid ionic minerals because it's so easy to adjust the doses. I buy them all separately: Zn, Chrom, Ca, Se, Mg, Moly, etc. That's so I can adjust them all separately. (The brand I get happens to be Good State, which I chose because there is only one other ingredient: purified water.)

Then I use the Acu-cell site to figure out which ones are synergistic and which ones are antagonistic.

I've copied a lot of the info about supplement interactions into the document where I keep my supplement log. It says stuff like this:
Chromium:
· Synergists: Magnesium, zinc, manganese, Vitamin B15.
· Antagonists: Selenium, vanadium, potassium, cobalt, copper, iodine, Vitamin B12, rutin, sugar, alcohol, fat.
Best time to take Chromium: Anytime - with food (preferably), or without food, but hours apart from taking copper, or high-potency potassium supplements.​

Since I usually have potassium deficiency in the morning, and it goes away after shoveling in 300-900 mg, then the chromium I take in the late afternoon.

Potassium is the one mineral I get in powdered form, because I'm taking so much of it.

Johnmac

Zinc & B6 and/or P5P is the treatment for pyroluria, as you no doubt know. Have you tested for pyroluria?

If you were pyroluric (as about 10% of us apparently are) you are 89% likely to have high unbound copper (low zinc > high copper). The supplemental zinc will now be displacing the copper - "copper dumping":

"Common symptoms when copper pours into the blood stream on its way out of the body can include headaches, and skin rashes such as acne, pimples and others. The rash can be anywhere on the body, though the most common locations are the face, head, neck and trunk areas.

Other common symptoms are fatigue or its opposite, a kind of anxious, wound up feeling in which the mind can race and one has trouble sleeping, resting or even just slowing down. One may also feel nausea, impaired appetite, and possibly some other digestive disturbances such as some diarrhea, constipation, gas or bloating. Some also have a flare-up of an infection, a cold or flu symptoms."

(Dr Wilson)

picante

@Beagle & @cph13, I'm happy to share my compilation. But you don't want the whole document: it has 155 pages of my supplement log (since July 2014) :D.

I hope I can get to this by tomorrow. Today I have red tape awaiting me, and a tango class to teach tonight, for which I have to be well rested.

cph13

@Beagle & @cph13, I'm happy to share my compilation. But you don't want the whole document: it has 155 pages of my supplement log (since July 2014) :D.

I hope I can get to this by tomorrow. Today I have red tape awaiting me, and a tango class to teach tonight, for which I have to be well rested.
Picante....I don't want this to be a difficult thing for you. 144 pages gosh, U do read more than I. xo Carol

picante

@cph13, you misunderstand: My supplement log is a record of all the supps I take each day and how I feel. That's the 155 pages.

@Beagle

OK, I've now isolated the supplement interactions in a separate Word document, but I can't upload it, either on a blog post or via private conversation. Grrrrr. I guess Word docs are not acceptable. Would you both send me a PM with your e-mail addresses? Then I can send it to you. The advantage of the Word format is you can add all the info you want to it, and make it your own.

It's 5 pages, so I don't want to post it here in the discussion thread.