1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Zinc and P5P Benefits and Dosage

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by arx, Jun 10, 2013.

1. arx

arx Senior Member

I have a few questions regarding the above. I have been looking into zinc deficiency,copper toxicity and pyroluria for some days now. I took 50 mg of elemental zinc(in zinc acetate form) last night and did feel a bit better. So I want to try zinc and p5p for some days.

1. I need dosage suggestions. How much zinc and p5p should I try out daily, and how much is safe to take?

2. I have zinc acetate form.I've read that picolinate is the best. Will acetate do the job?

Thanks!
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I think how much is zinc safe to take depends on who you talk to. I read 'somewhere' that 50mg/day was the maximum safe dose, but 80 mg/day has been recommended to people with macular degeneration. This is definitely a start low, go slow supplement. It often upsets the digestive system. I find I am least apt to have a problem with it if I take it with a full meal which includes a digestive enzyme pill and am, and remain, well hydrated.

No clue on the P5P.
  3. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    I've never taken the acetate version before so I have no anecdotal report on that but I can attest to the fact that zinc picolinate must be absorbed well..for me atleast. Prior to taking the picolinate I was taking zinc citrate. I liked the citrate because it didn't upset my stomach, unlike Opti-Zinc <zinc monomethionine> which I had taken in the past that did upset my stomach. When I started the picolinate, I started to urinate more frequently with no real increase in fluid intake. Zinc is an aromatase inhibitor and with my estradiol levels being a bit on the high side, I figured it must be absorbing well to get this effect.

Rand
  4. SB_1108

SB_1108

I take somewhere between 10mg - 60mg a day of P5P. Typically I just take the 10mg, but I have a bottle of just P5P (50mg) that I take every few days... just to make sure I keep my levels up.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I take approx 10-20 mg of P5P daily along with 50-60 mg of zinc.

Ema
  6. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I take 45-60 mg zinc and 25 mg P5P. I was taking 15-30 mg zinc for a long time, but found I did much better on the higher doses. I take zinc carnosine and glycinate.

See more popular forum discussions.