• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zika tied to a 2nd adult brain disease ("acute disseminated encephalomyelitis" [ADEM])

waiting

From the Washington Post, reprinted by the Toronto Star.

"... Patients experienced swelling of the brain and spinal cord that involved the myelin, or coating, around nerve fibers..."

The NINDS says:
"... However, some patients may have mild to moderate lifelong impairment, including cognitive difficulties or loss of vision..."

"...our study may shed light on possible lingering effects the virus may be associated with in the brain."

"... CDC said clinicians should be "vigilant" for ADEM and other "immune-mediated illnesses of the central nervous system..." [Hello?! :bang-head:]

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...erious-brain-issue-in-adults-study-finds.html

Edit: fixed link

Last edited:

Justin30

I am so angry that all these non believers of ME/CFS dimiss the fact of what encephalomylietis really is.

This is when we first get sick obviously and each relapse can easily be explained as an encephalomyelitis attack which further damages the the brain and CNS.

How dare they clump these disorders together as psychlogical......and label it CFS...

ADEM

Demyelinating disorders of the central nervous system. The acute therapies most frequently used to treat an inflammatory attack include: high dose intravenous steroids (methylprednisolone), Plasmapheresis (Plasma Exchange or PLEX), Immunoglobulin Therapy (IVIG), and cyclophosphamide.

AT ONSET

Viral infections thought to induce ADEM include influenza virus, enterovirus,measles,[17] mumps, rubella, varicella zoster,Epstein Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex virus, hepatitis A, and coxsackievirus; while the bacterial infections include Mycoplasma pneumoniae, Borrelia burgdorferi, Leptospira, and beta-hemolytic Streptococci.[18] The only vaccine proven to induce ADEM is the Semple form of the rabiesvaccine, but hepatitis B, pertussis, diphtheria, measles, u, rubella, pneumococcus,varicella, influenza, Japanese encephalitis, and polio vaccines have all been implicated.

Symptoms at Onset

ADEM has an abrupt onset and a monophasic course. Symptoms usually begin 1–3 weeks after infection. Major symptoms include fever,headache, nausea and vomiting, confusion,vision impairment, drowsiness, seizures andcoma.

Other noted symptoms were dyphagia or difficulty swallowing.

Justin30

Transverse myelitis is another of interest

My friend had it, Transverse Myelitis is serious business be was paralyzed from the neck down for 6 months give or take.

What down right pisses me off is they have had ME right from the get go and covered it up. If you look at all encephalopathies, encephalomylietis, myelitis, etc. They all seem to have a viral, bacterial trigger or Autoimmune trigger.

wastwater

I wondered if there are any parallels between zika and ME/cfs as in gulf war syndrome and the higher rate of birth defects

Justin30

I wondered if there are any parallels between zika and ME/cfs as in gulf war syndrome and the higher rate of birth defects

I would say ADEM in mild form without going into coma would substantiat the very ill ME patients and ME patients whether it be from a vaccine, bacteria or virus.

How bad do you think the CDC, NIH, government and others involved would like to hide this fact....oops we didnt realize but these vaccines can potentially damage your brain!

bel canto

I read in the last couple of days an article that researchers now believe that Zika came to the Americas with one person on a flight from endemic areas, before the large groups that were there for the sporting events. Hard to believe that it could explode so quickly.