1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Zantac making me very drowsy, any different alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by Ocean, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    Camas, has nueroprotek reduced your flushing? I was doing very well on zantac but eventually my stomach stopped being able to tolerate it and now I've had terrible flushing and sickness episodes several times a day every day again. The zantac was a lifesaver but began to cause a terrible stomach ache for me. I am really unhappy about it, I was finally doing better!
  2. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    Ocean, I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulty with zantac. I believe neuroprotek helped my flushing but I've since switched to the herb feverfew which is about 1/5th the cost and has some pretty potent mast cell stabilizing properties. It seems to work a little better for me, although a lot of people swear by neuroprotek. I believe there are some natural H2 blockers too, like Holy Basil which you can get in the form of a tea.

I'm finding that zyrtec, vitamin k2, and avoiding high histamine foods helps, too. Most of the flushing I get now comes from overheating -- either by moving around too fast doing housework, or staying out in the heat too long while gardening. It's a struggle keeping these mast cells in line!
    Thinktank likes this.
  3. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    camas, i ordered Neuroprotek a week ago. Do you notice any GI discomfort when taking it?
    I'd really to start neuroprotek asap but fear it might irritate my already severe inflamed GI tract.
  4. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    That's great to hear. Any side effects from the feverfew?
  5. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    I didn't have any GI discomfort, but of course we all react differently. They do recommend starting slowly -- like one pill a day for the first week, two a day for the second week , and so on. I think most aren't taking more than a few pills a day despite what it says on the bottle about the number of pills needed per weight. You could probably even just squeeze out 1/2 a capsule a day for the first week to see how you react. Good luck!
  6. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    I haven't had any problems with it, but that's just me! I have read that the fresh herb can blister your mouth, so I've just been taking the Source Naturals Extract pill once or twice a day.
    Ocean likes this.
  7. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    I will try that. I'm changing my diet into an elemental diet so if i can mix the powder into the shakes then that shouldn't be a problem.
    How soon did you notice relief from neuroprotek? Is it instant like with antihistamines?
    I've read some mixed reviews about it, some mentioning instant relief and others, especially autistic kids noticing cognitive improvement after a few weeks of usage.
  8. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    The capsules are in an olive oil base, so are a bit messy to squeeze out, but it can be done. My main improvement on neuroprotek was softer skin and less anxiety and it happened within a week or so. I just didn't feel like the very small improvement I made justified the cost. I've really had better results with feverfew which is an inexpensive mast cell inhibitor, among other things. It's a pretty amazing herb and prolific weed if ends up in your garden. :)

See more popular forum discussions.