New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

[YouTube]Leonard Jason's talk on Myths about ME and CFS

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by AndyPR, Jan 30, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Leonard Jason's 2017 presentation to the Ethical Humanist Society of Chicago regarding myths regarding ME and CFS.

2. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

While the video quality on this is poor, I got quite a lot from this presentation. He talks about the issues with broad diagnostic criteria (very applicable to MEGA and all the BPS crowd), and in the Q&A at the end, goes into history of ME that I'd not known before and makes some pretty strong historical claims of corruption.

ETA: Also makes an interesting remark about how our brains are in a Delta Wave state while awake, which is an explanation for cognitive issues.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  3. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    These are the slides of the talk on youtube (no sound):

4. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Just watched it. Very good. So refreshing to see a psychologist who knows it's a physical illness and strongly criticises the British BPS approach, including spelling out the problem with their distorted version of CBT.

Joh, Valentijn, mango and 1 other person like this.
  5. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    Lenny Jason is a treasure. Over the years I've listened in to CFSAC when he's spoken up there, and followed his research (taking his unique angle to show the problems with definitions, questionaires, and conclusions as applied to ME/CFS). Such a dedicated, long-term gift to our community!

Joh, shannah and mango like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Most of what he said is known to many long term patients. However much of that might be new to more recent patients. To be fair though, the reason we know a lot of that is prior work from Jason. He has been helping us, as a community and not just patients, for a very long time. There is nobody like him so far as ME is concerned.

A key thing that distinguishes him from others is his focus on social change. He sees ME as not just a medical problem, but a social problem. We have to change how society views us to make lasting and substantive improvement for the ME community.

SamanthaJ, *GG*, atleje and 9 others like this.
  7. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    *GG*, atleje, alex3619 and 4 others like this.
  8. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    This excerpt is especially good I think:-
    [My italics]

SamanthaJ, atleje, Joh and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

CFS_for_19_years and AndyPR like this.

See more popular forum discussions.