• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Your experiences with Melatonin

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Do you take melatonin every night or is there some alternation?

I usually take it every night. If I don't then it takes longer to get to sleep, and I wake later in the night and can't get back to sleep (this also happens if I don't take the long acting form of melatonin.)

HowToEscape?

• “Powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and the body’s the most efficient free-radical scavenger.“
This sets of my BS detector. If your body stopped oxidizing, you would die within minutes.
You oxidize food into energy, the immune system oxidizes undesirable things into inert molecules, etc. An excess of antioxidants via supplements Is good for the supplement peddler, bad for you.

I'd like to hear from those of you who have spent some time using melatonin, did it work? did it continue to work? any side effects? what kind of dosage? and anything in general that might be useful to know about melatonin?

yeah
This post is a bit old - but I just posted something about a study that might suggest melatonin is far more useful as antioxidant than sleep aid for some people (including myself). https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/20/3/765/htm