1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Your daily negative XMRV study: XMRV is PCR contamination

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Jemal, Feb 25, 2011.

1. kurt

kurt Senior Member

USA.Earth
    I agree, they did make a strong statement at the end, maybe stronger than was warranted, but it was a valid scientific proposition, what they believe is the logical conclusion of their research. Yes, I think they presented reasoning to back that up, in the paper. They found two identical binding (integration) sites in two different cell types, which historically has only ever happened in contamination events. If true, this would seem to undermine XMRV in the human population, but a single study like this is not proof. Further research would have to confirm and extend their finding. They should have added a sentence at the end to state that fact. So they left a false impression with readers, overstated their conclusion, IMO. This is a very early finding. But if it turns out to be correct, that might shake things up a bit.
  2. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Which academics would those be, Esther?

It is certainly true that some very good research is published in some paid-to-print resources, although most of it is very limited in scope. Maybe these academics you speak of are objecting to a blanket dismissal of paid-to-print. Most academics (and the funders of their work) prefer to be published in high impact journals when possible.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Kurt, two identical binding sites is normal and expected for MLVs, as pointed out by Gerwyn. Bye, Alex
  4. kurt

kurt Senior Member

USA.Earth
    Do you have a research reference for that?
  5. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK

See more popular forum discussions.