1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Patient Experience: "What Bronllys taught me about pacing."
In 2012, Maya, who had tried to cope with ME/CFS on her own for many years, attended a pain management centre in Wales, U.K., and is now able to achieve more through pacing and acceptance, than she had been able to before the course...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Younger generation of psychologists cleaning up science? (Guardian article)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Simon, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    The changing face of psychology | Science | theguardian.com

Really interesting piece about problems in psychology and life science generally, and how things are beginning to change.

It starts of by talking about how in 1959 researcher Ted Sterling found that an implausible 97% of papers in 4 major psychology journals found positive effects. He argued that this was clear sign of publication bias:the dud results never got published - an argument that was accepted. Yet in 1995 he repeated the study and little had changed. Things, say the article, are beginning to change now:

One example of this is on replication (which should be a keystone of scientific research)
    read the full piece
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I would be so pissed off if I was having to treat patients while relying on the piss poor quality of a lot of psych research, and it has surprised me that there hasn't been more anger from about the way research is spun by 'experts' from those lower down the pecking order. Good to see that there's a growing push for change within the system, and that is the impression I've been getting too.

The tolerance for this just amazes me.
    vli, Sean, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    OK I didn't read the whole piece but I did read the excerpt.
    Nice to see some potentially good news :)
    Thanks for the ray of science sunshine.
    Simon likes this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There is nothing new in this article, but its very nice to see it all in one place. I do think that the main critics of psychology and psychiatry today are indeed psychologists and psychiatrists. Its decades overdue, but very welcome. Its also the case that issues with poor scientific methodology, and poor science publication, are critical if science is to advance. This is not just in psychology though, nor even psychiatry. Many of these arguments apply to medical science, and especially to wanna-be science like economics.
  5. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    The anger seems to be (mis)directed toward the patients who don't respond to treatment! The experts can't possibly be wrong so it must be the patients! :confused: (In CFS anyway. I don't think it's so bad in psychiatry in general.)
    Sean and Valentijn like this.
  6. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    great find @Simon. so nice to see psychologists noticing the bad science.

now if they would just publicly face off with the wesselys and whites of the world...
    Valentijn likes this.
  7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Have they been following CFS research?

Well, that will be an interesting face off, seeing as one of those two gentlemen just got elected as the head of the UK psychs' union and has shown not the slightest propensity thus far to back down from his rather persistent, even obsessive, and dodgy claims.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    vli and Valentijn like this.
  8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Looks like they have been following CFS research!
    Svenja, Valentijn, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  9. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    @Graham might like to see this
    Valentijn likes this.
  10. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    We're used to it. We call it "The News" or alternatively, "media". ;)
    vli, leela and Esther12 like this.
  11. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Horton of the Lancet whining on radio and in print about the response to PACE and being inundated with "dozens of letters" (diddums) but meanwhile refusing to publish any corrections to errors which he allowed to be published in the first place.
    leela, Esther12 and Valentijn like this.
  12. Firestormm

Firestormm Content Team Lead

Cornwall England
    How can you replicate psychological research 'using the same methods' if those methods are using subjective measures?

Or am I being thick? :)
  13. Firestormm

Firestormm Content Team Lead

Cornwall England
    biophile likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.