The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Young Leader on the Road to Recovery and Helping Others

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by JaimeS, Aug 16, 2017.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Wow.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-st...er-on-the-road-to-recovery-and-helping-others

....nice for some?

2. Philipp

Philipp

At least it's a more believable story than improvements through GET, I suppose.

3. Tilney

Tilney

The God of GET ?

Invisible Woman, JaimeS and Dechi like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I heard this recently, but don't remember where: "patients have as much difficulty telling why they got better as they do with telling why they got sick".

If I suddenly get better, I could go around telling people I got better by ranting on online forums about bad science.

5. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

It'll be unbridled skepticism that heals me :cool:

Mel9, Revel, TiredSam and 18 others like this.
  6. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Divine intervention is more believable. That's quite an indictment.

I fully support you in this endeavor.

Kind of literally: that's how I've made the gains I have so far... :cool:

Mel9, MEMum, TiredSam and 5 others like this.
  7. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Biscuit Antagonist

Uk
    Sustained general stropiness with flourishes of sarcasm really healed my gut.

Mel9, trishrhymes, MEMum and 11 others like this.
  8. adreno

adreno PR activist

Yeah, I asked him to do that. Thanks, dad!

9. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
  10. mango

mango Senior Member

Was it Maureen Hanson, at the OMF symposium?

A.B. and Silencio like this.
  11. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Regardless of belief system, I think it's irresponsible to say that religious practice healed you.

It has Unfortunate Implications: that other religious people who are afflicted just haven't done the right religious practice in the right way, or haven't yet learned the lesson God wanted to teach them via their condition, or that God in some way favors the recovered person.

I am sure that's not what people are really thinking when they are sick and become well and say such things, but it has to enter the minds of the religious and still-afflicted when they read / hear those statements. It seems thoughtless.

12. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

She's very young. I hope her better health continues.

the_phscale, AnnaDove, Mel9 and 9 others like this.
  13. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

That too. :)

14. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    'Healed' = 6 hours of work a week.
    So on a good week I'm healed too! Nice to know..
    Seriously, it's great that she's out of bed and feeling a bit better, but there's no evidence at all that she's on the road to recovery...

15. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

I've actually been told #1 and #2. I think they put a "maybe" in there--reminding me of myself when I'm trying to see if I can find a way to justify a pet theory. Unwarranted certainty in anything grates on me, and has come to grate on me more since I've been ill.

But in terms of everyone agreeing it's irresponsible: If they were actually right and they knew the right way to pray then the good they would do by spreading the Word would outdo the harm done to the feelings of those left behind. Most religions at least have factions that regard themselves as the one true way, and in my experience their take on faith healing will often mirror this. In addition most religions have a way to explain why "the rain falls on the just and the unjust alike." Although I'm sure more than one person has wished that if God did nothing else at least He could indicate which way they were supposed to pray. Effing ineffability, eh?

JaimeS, Invisible Woman and Woolie like this.
  16. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    It sounded like she said she was prayed for (by others) shortly before her health gradually started to improve vs. that she prayed for herself asking to be healed. I don't think she said she was cured or that she was telling others that they were praying wrong and this is why they were not cured (but I skimmed it quickly and could be wrong). It seemed pretty benign to me and I felt happy for her, especially being sick at such a young age and now being able to work (even if just six hours per week) and lead a support group to help others.

AnnaDove, Mel9, TreePerson and 3 others like this.
  17. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    This video is only for the rabid atheists among you who don't mind Tim Minchin or serious swearing. If you think you might be offended, you probably will be, so don't watch it.

Despite being firmly in the atheist camp I thought this article wasn't bad in terms of its impact on people with ME.

I've seen much worse descriptions of the illness.

I've spent half an hour trying to explain to myself why this article doesn't bother me that much, even though I agree with what you have written Jaime. Maybe, if you are an atheist with ME, you will just dismiss this claim that God did the healing but still get some hope that spontaneous significant improvements are possible. And if you are a religious person who believes God can choose to heal you, this story might give hope and in any case you have your faith to help you feel that there is a purpose to the suffering.

There are plenty of stories about people attributing their recovery from all sorts of illnesses to God or gods. I don't think one more will affect anyone very much. I'm glad this young woman is no longer in a miserable situation.

Good spotting @aimossy re the surname being the same as one of the authors of the recent Massey CFS study. That's interesting.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  18. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

It was said in the panel discussion on the latest set of OMF talks

trishrhymes likes this.
  19. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Still laughing about that song :D .

trishrhymes and Hutan like this.
  20. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Wow. That is awesome!

I've never quite been able to get into Tim Minchin before but that's, um, converted me, even if my Catholic upbringing had me crossing myself throughout!

No clue how he remembers the words and keeps them straight. Talented fella, isn't he.

trishrhymes, ScottTriGuy and Hutan like this.

See more popular forum discussions.