• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yorkshire fatigue clinic

tinacarroll27

Hi all!! Does anyone have any experience of the Yorkshire Fatigue clinic? My GP has mentioned them to me and seemed to think highly of them but I went on their website and what they offer seems vague. They mention a 'STEP Programme to enable you to actively stabilize your energy supply and then build up your tolerance to activity', which sounds to me like graded exercise. Has anyone had treatment with them and were they any good? The people running it used to run the cfs/me clinic in Leeds.

Cheesus

I was first diagnosed by Dr Akagi at Leeds. They wanted me to do "Graded Activity Therapy" (they refused to use the word exercise). I understand things have changed there now as they have an immunologist on staff, but I can't see that they are going to offer anything other than what is in the NICE guidelines. They also only gave me a few appointments before they discharged me (on the grounds that you only get three appointments).

To be honest I was deeply underwhelmed and didn't get any benefit from any of it whatsoever. The only thing I gained from them was my diagnosis.

Valentijn

They mention a 'STEP Programme to enable you to actively stabilize your energy supply and then build up your tolerance to activity', which sounds to me like graded exercise.
Sounds pretty quacky, since nothing's been shown to improve our "tolerance to activity".