• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

yogurt..does it matter brand?

hurtingallthetimet

ive been diagnosed with ibs and reflux.....ive heard yogurt is good for you and i sometimes buy the cheapest no name brands..or the trix for kids brands..

does it matter when your buying yougurt what brands you buy? thanks

L'engle

moogle
Hi hatt,

Short Answer: Yes!

Firstly I would look at the sugar content. A lot yogurt has the same amount of sugar as ice cream per serving. I used to drink those fruity yogurt drinks, but I think they aren't great for you. Yogurt called "balkan" style is usually best. We have a brand here called Astro that makes one called 'Biobest', which I find the best type of yogurt for me. I don't know if you can get something like that where you are.

It may be tough if you are used to sugar rushes from sugary yogurt. It's one of the last unhealthy foods I gave up, since I found it rather difficult.

Good luck!

Get one with "live active cultures". Some of them cheat. I forget exactly what they say but maybe "with cultures", when they are not live, and not doing much good.

Whit

Yes it matters. If you just want something sweet and milky than you can get whatever, but if you want health benefits, you have to get yogurt from a company that's putting some care into it, very much like buying probiotics. There's living organisms in good yogurt, so it takes some amount of effort to keep them alive.

Get more expensive yogurt from smaller companies. The very best yogurt I've found in the states is St. Benoit but it's a pretty small company, probably only available on the West coast. Comes in big glass mason jars or small individual size ceramic cups. It's one of the only yogurts on the market that is just milk and live cultures, the way yogurt should be. But a lot of the other brands like Brown Cow and Nancy's and Pavel's and all the Trader Joe's brands should be good for the probiotic content.

Kefir is also good. Trader Joes carries it. It uses different bacteria than yogurt.

You can also get cultured foods like old fashioned cultured Pickles like Bubbies or Pookie's Pickles (look for the kind with no vinegar listed in the ingredients, the old way uses salt water and the culturing proces creates vinegar inside the jar along with probiotics). Or sour kraut that has live cultures.