• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yoga, where to start?

Thinktank

After reading a few interesting scientific papers about yoga and being recommended to try it by so many people, i finally will.
But, where to start? I want to take a scientific approach to it, i'm absolutely not spiritual and quite allergic to all the new age mumbo jumbo.
I want a course that has been scientifically proven to lower inflammation, and suitable for males (if you know what i mean, i always found yoga a bit of a girly thing :rolleyes:.)

msf

My mother taught me some basic stretches, they have helped a lot with that lactic acid feeling. I don´t think the spiritual kind is worthless, my mother´s teacher is a new age type, the important thing is whether they teach you how to do it properly, not their explanation of how it works.

sarah darwins

Just to get started, and see if you take to it, I would highly recommend Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners videos. I used to have a few of his DVDs but these days they're available in various places online. Start with "A.M. Yoga". (there's a PM Yoga, too, of course ...)

Yee is definitely not too New Agey, and he's a guy guy! Those vids are pretty gentle, which is definitely the place to start, and I find him one of the few non-annoying presenters of yoga videos.

I would probably suggest you try one of those before trying a class, just to get a feel for what it's about.

Classes tend to come in a great multitude of types these days. You would just have to look what's around in your area.

But be aware that, as gentle as yoga looks, you can easily trigger PEM with even quite a short session. Yoga works the body quietly, without impact, but steadily. It's easy to do too much if you have low exertion thresholds.

I've been doing yoga for more than 30 years, since adolescence. Never a big deal for me, always a thing to do when I feel like it (or, these days, when I'm up to it). I can only do it in small doses since getting ill. For me it's just something I work quietly into my life as and when I can, in little bits and pieces. And I love it.

Do try the Rodney Yee. He's a cool guy, and very likeable. That particular vid I mentioned is about 20 minutes and will give you a nice sense of both the relaxation and exercise potentials of yoga.

p.s. don't worry too much about all the different, exotic sounding types of Yoga. Most variants are based on the same core principles and elements. And most of what you're likely to find will be based on one traditional form, Hatha Yoga. Frankly, in 30 + years, I've never bothered learning much about all that or learning all the Sanskrit words .... some people love all that, but it's not compulsory!

p.p.s. there are certain yoga postures that I've learnt the hard way are guaranteed PEM triggers for me, and i avoid them. One of them is one of the classics, the 'downward facing dog', which I used to do with ease. Go slow, go gentle.

Last edited:

Biarritz13

University of Ohio

Researchers compared 25 women who had practised yoga regularly for at least two years with 25 novices. The beginners showed 36% more leptin – a hormone that stimulates inflammation – in their bodies than the experienced yogis. Additionally, the experienced yogis had 28% more adiponectin, an inflammation-soothing hormone. The longer the women in the experienced group had practised, the greater their ratio of anti-inflammatory to inflammatory hormones.

Additionally, the expert yogis had lower heart rates in response to stressful events than the newbies. Yoga also seemed to boost the mood of practitioners in both groups, which (as we’ll find out) can reduce inflammatory activity.

So it's all about the stress, that means you can practice which one you prefer between Ashtanga, Hatha, Raja, Iyengar and others.

Ashtanga is one of the more physical so you will see a lot of men (that was my experience) but you can give a shot to Hatha which is more moderate but still please don't think you will not sweat. Raja is great, it's more a breathing yoga...

Last edited:

whodathunkit

I'm not a yoga person (interested, bought a few videos and books, never disciplined or had enough energy to actually do it, LOL), but would like to chime in that I have several friends that had to adjust the dosages of various medications, particularly thyroid meds, after practicing yoga consistently for a short period of time. For whatever that's worth. Maybe just a second to @sarah darwins' caution to "go slow, go gentle".

leela

For ME people, I would recommend yin yoga, restorative yoga, or yoga for elders.

The yoga I used to do back in the day would take me out if I tried it now. You want a class, course or trainer that works with supported poses that are mostly sitting/lying on the floor.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I would highly recommend Rodney Yee's Yoga for Beginners videos. I used to have a few of his DVDs but these days they're available in various places online.
I used to teach yoga and actually know Rodney Yee. He is a great teacher. For me, in the last 10 years, the standing aspect doesn't work for me. I also have EDS and stretching too much isn't good for me, so I switched to pilates with equipment. It incorporates a lot of elements from yoga, but it done mostly lying down and focuses on core strength. (Lots of guys do it! :))

sarah darwins

I used to teach yoga and actually know Rodney Yee. He is a great teacher. For me, in the last 10 years, the standing aspect doesn't work for me. I also have EDS and stretching too much isn't good for me, so I switched to pilates with equipment. It incorporates a lot of elements from yoga, but it done mostly lying down and focuses on core strength. (Lots of guys do it! :))

How cool! Is he as nice as he seems? He just comes across as a lovely guy.

I definitely know what you mean about the standing versus lying down elements. I have to go very easy on the former.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
How cool! Is he as nice as he seems? He just comes across as a lovely guy.
That is my impression too.
I definitely know what you mean about the standing versus lying down elements. I have to go very easy on the former.
I wear an HR monitor for any exercise that I do. Body position does make a difference though obviously the HR monitor doesn't track my BP. The things that I have to lower the number of reps on are anything done standing and/or "arm" exercises" which are more apt to lead to PEM if I am not alert. But if I am lying down I can pretty much keep up with the class.

ChrisD

For the past couple of months, i have been using an app called DailyYoga, they have a range of guided sessions that range from beginner to pro (So obviously go with beginner). It also has bed and chair yoga if you are not very mobile. Even though it is not good to push too much, I have pushed myself to do it in the mmornings when I am very stiff with muscle pain. Once I have loosened up, it relieves some of the pain and gives me a small burst of energy by releasing tension - sadly I feel like it's not really treatment or THE CURE - it is just management. And unlike my friends who do Yoga, I don't become more flexible day by day, I wake up feeling just as stiff....