• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yersinia positive and High CD cell count

Hello to everyone!

I've been tested at Arminlabs and tested negative for Borellia, but positive for Yersinia - so I would be grateful for experiences concerning this particular parasite/bacteria.

However, the CD 57 flow cytometry results were even more interesting:

CD 57 Flow Cytometry
T cells CD3 + (%) 62.49 % RANGE: 62-80
T cells CD3 + (absolute) + 1935 /ul RANGE:900-1900
NK cells CD56+CD3- (%) 27.12 % RANGE: 6-29
NK cells CD56+CD3- (absolute) + 840 /ul RANGE:60-700
CD 57 + NK-cells (%) 63.17 % RANGE:2-77
CD 57 + NK-cells (absolute) + 531 /ul RANGE:100-360

Does anyone have similar results? I would love to hear your comments/experiences. The generic comment I received from the lab was as follows:

"High numbers of the CD57+T-cells can be seen in viral infections with EBV, CMV, HSV, VZV, Coxsackie-Virus.
We recommend following laboratory tests:
EBV-EliSpot, CMV-EliSpot, Herpes Simplex Virus 1 / 2 – EliSpot, Herpes Simplex Virus 1 / 2 – IgG/IgA/IgMantibodies,
Varicella Zoster Virus - IgG/IgA/IgM-antibodies, Coxsackie-Virus-IgG/IgA-antibodies."

I have pain in my joints and brain fog + an array of hormonal issues being dealt with.

Last edited:

Clerner

I had have high y. Enterocolitica. All I know is that my well- known rheumatologist (md and phd) at Institute for Specialized Medicine said that out of all the viruses and infections (about 9) that I have, yersinia and chlamydia were the hardest to get rid of. Not sure why exactly, intracellular? Suggested 3 types of abx plus plaquenil for 6 mo.

msf

I am IgA positive for Yersinia, and I was borderline positive on the LTT - which one did you have done? My experience with a Yersinia infection is that it is a bugger! I think the most important lessons I have learned are that a.) it is crucial to fix your diet, as I believe Yersinia flourishes in the presence of inflammation (certainly, changing to the FODMAP diet reduced most of my Yersinia-specific symptoms), and b.) both the treatment for the Yersinia and the treatment for its effects on the gut can themselves be hard on the gut - at the moment I weighing up trying to control it through diet vs continuing with treatment.

It may be that my Yersinia infection is resistant to more antibiotics than yours though - I contracted mine in Vietnam, where there doesn´t seem to be much oversight of the use of antibiotics in agriculture. So perhaps you will find it easier to get rid of your infection.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, I´ve spent a decent proportion of the last two years reading papers on Yersinia, and whilst I don´t have medical background, I can tell you what conclusions the authors came to.

msf

P.S. The pain in your joints may be due to Yersinia, which also causes Reactive Arthritis. I found my enthesitis went away when I changed to the FODMAP diet, although the treatment may also have helped.

msf

Although perhaps that´s because IgA positivity is seen as being the evidence for an active Yersinia infection - there were a couple of studies where they used PCR, culture and histology to confirm this. Here is one of them - they only tested IgA positive patients, I´m not sure if anyone has used the above methods to establish infection in IgG positive, IgA negative patients: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01711062#page-1

Very interesting insights so far! I've selected the EliSpot analysis @ Armin and the results were as follows:

Yersinia-EliSpot + 4 RANGE: < 2

I've been having inexplicable digestive issues since 1997 (for almost 20 years). Is it really possible that this infection lasts for 20 years already and becomes semi-latent during periods of time, then switches back on? Oh, yes, let me not forget that I've had some seizures when these digestive issues started, never really conclusively diagnosed as epilepsy (this didn't stop the MD in charge prescribe carbamazepin, which I took for app. 1 year and then stopped as it made things worse).