• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yasko´s Presentations Videos

greenshots

I like my doc's description of epigenetics. She compared it to copying an article you really want someone else to read. But you take it off the printer to find there must have been a glitch or stain somewhere on the machine cuz an important section of the article is illegible even though the rest is ok. But the stain is over a very important point you wanted to make. This mistake doesn't change the article itself, just the copies you've made. Like the environment and genes, an outside force messed it up.

It could have been a stain on the outer edge and wouldn't have really mattered. Likewise, some of our defects aren't a big deal, it just depends on where they are. But since its right at an important part of the article, it's a huge problem. This is the same with our genes. Some make it impossible for DNA or RNA to be copied correctly, just like the article. The environment affects our genes but doesn't change them forever so much as it alters the way they're behaving or read.
I thinK the moral to the story should be to never eat while your making copies :)

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Oh I heard it like this - methyls (from SAMe) turn on/off chemical reactins throughout the body. The genes are like a giant blueprint and the methyls are like coffee cups set on the blueprint. Wherever a coffee cup is set one cannot see the details to build the blueprint of that part. One can build everything else. Sometimes you don't want to build that part and sometimes you do. You want to have enough methyls (coffee cups) to work with to modify the genetic map as needed. However there are other dietary nutrients which influence the placement of the coffee cups. Which is why many substances are in the news for their anticancer and etc properties. It all starts with enough methyls though to have coffee cups to move around.