• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV "ubiquitous"

Levi

Regarding the conspiracy theories vis-a-vis the CDC NIH and XMRV. Why not intentionally undermine all research into XMRV with zero/zero studies, etc., until the pathogen spreads into the population so far that it becomes "ubiquitous". Once it is found everywhere, there will be no way to tie it to CFS/ME. Problem solved.

Of course we really have no idea just how fast the microbe is spreading into the general population at all, do we? If the CDC were really doing its job, they would be tracking XMRV levels and penetration into the general population. Not waiting to see what diseases are proven to be connected with it. The fact that they are doing zero/zero studies is a good indication they are trying to stifle further research, since those studies are worthless to epidemiologists.

V99

Yes, and by not inviting Mikovits to talk at the 1st International XMRV conference, they further hinder the exchange of information, and allow the xmrv to spread unchecked.

knackers323

I can see the powers that be getting thier way again and this being suppressed. Its all going thier way so far, we can keep saying things will change but the fact is, things arnt changing. Nearly a year and the only promising new information has been stopped from coming out? Its not looking good and the longer they draw this out its getting harder and harder to see otherwise. Im fed up with waiting. Is there anything we can do?

Forbin

Regarding the conspiracy theories vis-a-vis the CDC NIH and XMRV. Why not intentionally undermine all research into XMRV with zero/zero studies, etc., until the pathogen spreads into the population so far that it becomes "ubiquitous". Once it is found everywhere, there will be no way to tie it to CFS/ME. Problem solved.

If you assume that XRMV is in 3.7% of the "healthy" US population and that there are 1 million actual CFS cases in the US (is there a better number for this?), that would mean that roughly 8% of those infected with XMRV are currently ill. If you wait until XMRV is "ubiquitous" in a population of 300+ million, you'd have more than 24 millon people ill in the US alone. This doesn't seem like an effective way to "bury" the problem.

V99

Yes, we make a big fuss. We shout and scream and bombard them with letters, emails, videos. We contact the media and the government, we keep going until everybody knows about it. Even if some don't listen or care, enough will eventually to force them to do something. There are supposedly millions of us, and it will only take a fraction of that number to truly be heard. We can fight this, in fact we are fighting this. This is our year to break away. Do everything you can, it will happen.

taniaaust1

If you assume that XRMV is in 3.7% of the "healthy" US population and that there are 1 million actual CFS cases in the US (is there a better number for this?), that would mean that roughly 8% of those infected with XMRV are currently ill. If you wait until XMRV is "ubiquitous" in a population of 300+ million, you'd have more than 24 millon people ill in the US alone. This doesn't seem like an effective way to "bury" the problem.

More than that figure.. you didnt include those who have it and who are dying of agressive prostate cancer.

Sean

Yes, and by not inviting Mikovits to talk at the 1st International XMRV conference, they further hinder the exchange of information, and allow the xmrv to spread unchecked.

I agree, that is not good.

alex3619

Hi Levi,

I recently did some scary math that I hope to work on for my next email/letter campaign. Depending on the assumptions about cost and transmissability, every years delay in treatment could add (worst not likely case) $160,000,000,000 to the total cost of treating XMRV. This was for Australia only - for the USA multiply by 15! This figure is far more likely to go up rather than down as we learn more, but I stress it is strictly worst case.

This math needs a lot more work, especially the probable case which is two orders of magnitude lower in cost. What really scares me is that the cost of treating XMRV might be so large that the world can't afford it, even under probable case assumptions. They might decide to mass vaccinate the rest of the population and do very little to help the infected.

Bye
Alex

Of course we really have no idea just how fast the microbe is spreading into the general population at all, do we? If the CDC were really doing its job, they would be tracking XMRV levels and penetration into the general population. Not waiting to see what diseases are proven to be connected with it. The fact that they are doing zero/zero studies is a good indication they are trying to stifle further research, since those studies are worthless to epidemiologists.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
I am not sure mathmatics is the answer. I told someone with a new baby that I didn't go in much for personal contact because I was worried about transmission of XMRV. Genuinely surpirsed, she laughed out loud and said she was more concerned about the baby catching whooping cough, which was going around. I almost wept in frustration. If people aren't afraid of getting tired, they are not going to worry much about XMRV.

People really need to fear XMRV. Then it doesn't matter how many are going to get it. Fear will do all the work for us. Also I am not worried about any stigma associated with XMRV, after virtually being a social outcast with ME for decades.

Esther12

It's possible that XMRV is already fairly ubiquitous, and that it's a retrovirus that people can often fully recover from (some of the early virology could indicate that XMRV should be vulnerable to our immune system).

It could then be a perpetuating factor with CFS: if your immune system was under strain when it should have been fighting off XMRV, this allows XMRV to spread/whatever, and become a chronic problem.

Something like that would help explain away some of the problems with the XMRV=CFS theory.

There's no way that there's an intentional plan to spread a retro-virus throughout the human poulation though.

Esther12

The data so far shows XMRV to not be ubiquitous.

Yeah - but if healthy people are able to clear the infection, we don't know if any past infection could be detected by the current tests. Indeed, the current testing still seems at an early stage.

I'm not saying this is a likely theory at the moment, and we've got no evidence that people can clear an infection, but I just mentioned it as a possibilty that interests me.

Levi

You find the 3-7% percentage only in two studies; WPI Science article and the German study of respiratory secretions. All other studies are 0 percent or about .1 percent as surmised in the latest CDC study. There is a big difference between .1 % and 7%. 7000 percent variability. If you apply a 7000 percent margin of error to say, a 3 percent infection ratio, then at the upper end of the scale you have a 210 percent likelihood of infection in the general population. Literally all people everywhere and for all time infected with XMRV. At that point XMRV is part of our DNA as a species, and no longer an issue.

3% to 7% is not ubiquitous.

V99

Yes, and those studies would also support the idea that XMRV is not ubiquitous at this time.

Levi

I would submit that once you have diluted the available data to a margin of error in the neighborhood of 7000 percent, then you have muddied the waters to the vanishing point, and no particular study supports any valid conclusion at all. Which is why the psych lobby has peppered XMRV research with zero/zero studies. I think that is what they are up to, and I think it is deliberate.

Yes, and those studies would also support the idea that XMRV is not ubiquitous at this time.

usedtobeperkytina

My intuition tells me it is at 10% or more. And while others may not trust my intuition, rarely has it failed me.

But another theory I have is that XMRV is not the only stealthy retrovirus causing havoc. If XMRV is 3-7%, then I would expect some other retroviruses, yet to be discovered, have infected many other people causing cancers and neurological conditions.

Tina