1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV the 5th human retrovirus?

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by shrewsbury, Apr 10, 2010.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Kim just posted this to the library. (thank you - as always - Kim)

I find it interesting that they say (in 2008) "Four human retroviruses are currently known, including human immunodeficiency virus type 1, which causes AIDS, and human T-lymphotropic virus type 1, which causes cancer and inflammatory disease.".

What are the other 2? I thought XMRV was the 3rd.
  2. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

Probably the two others are HIV-2 and HTLV-2.
  3. V99

V99 *****

UK
    I think they are HIV-1, HIV-2, HTLV-1, HTLV-2.

I've heard some say that XMRV is the 3rd.

They say there are at least 6 strains of XMRV. So does that make a total of 10 human retroviruses? I think sticking with the main name helps, so I'm going to say it is the 3rd.
  4. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

The article has a table that lists them:

TABLE 1. Confirmed infectious human retroviruses

Virus Yr identified Associated disease(s)

HTLV-1 1980 ATL, HAM/TSP, polymyositis, HAA

HTLV-2 1982 HAM/TSPb

HIV-1 1983 AIDS

HIV-2 1986 AIDS

a HAA, HTLV-associated arthropathy.
    b The association of HTLV-2 with disease is tentative.
  5. Kati

Kati Patient in training

I believe there have been a discovery of HTLV 3 and 4. Forgot the reference to that if I find it again I will post.
  6. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Righto Kati! This is an older article.

From Wikipedia:
  7. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Also HIV-3 has been isolated. A very deadly strain apparently.
  8. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    Natasa, can you provide me a link to that ? I know that researcher had found a new HIV strain, nl. P, which originated from gorrilas. A Cameroonian woman was infected with this strain, and it was picked up by regular HIV-test.

OS.
  9. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
  10. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Overstressed, all I can find now is this info: "In 1988, in cooperation with researchers at the Antwerp Institute of Tropical Medicine tropical medicine, study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of certain diseases prevalent in the tropics. The warmth and humidity of the tropics and the often unsanitary conditions under which so many people in those areas live contribute to the development and
    ..... Click the link for more information., Innogenetics NV discovered another strain of HIV, which, at that time, was termed HIV-3. The patents and patent applications relating to this virus were licensed exclusively to Boehringer Mannheim. Independently, in 1992, Professor Gurtler and his collaborators together with scientists of Behring Diagnostics discovered and characterized a virus (MVP (Multimedia Video Processor) A high-speed DSP chip from Texas Instruments, introduced in 1994. Officially introduced as the TMS320C80, it combines RISC technology with the functionality of four DSPs on one chip. 5180), which was classified as HIV-1 group O. Scientists determined that HIV-3 of Innogenetics also belonged to the same group O viruses (HIV-O). Professor Gurtler's invention has been exclusively licensed to Behring Diagnostics."

However I am sure I read a paper, found through Pubmed, that was describing HIV-3 isolate in an African man. The paper published date was I think later than the above 92-94, but I cannot trace it now :( sorry
  11. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    Hi Natasa,

ok, personally I think it's just another strain of HIV-1. The last strain(P) found was the one I mentioned in my previous reply. It originated from gorillas... This article can be found easily if you google. It were French researchers who found this strain, because the woman came to France and tested positive.

Take care,
    OS.

See more popular forum discussions.