1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV Testing-FYI

Discussion in 'XMRV Testing, Treatment and Transmission' started by InvertedTree, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Advocate

Advocate Senior Member

U.S.A.
    Derisi Assay

The paragraphs below were posted on a listserv, and I have permission of the author to re-post here. The author said that he does not know if the Derisi Assay can detect the XMRV virus.

A patient of Dr. Dan Peterson mentioned that he will getting the Derisi Assay soon. For those of you who are not familiar with the test, it tests for 70 different viruses.

The Derisi Lab( @ UCSF) was used by the CDC when the SARS outbreak occured to identify the virus casuing SARS. The report was featured on a investigative TV show like 20/20 a few years ago. (The report or transcript might be available to access on the internet, worth seeing.)

The Derisi lab has the genome of almost every virus known to exist in their data base, so I can see why Dr. Peterson would want to use that test on a CFS patient.

Sue B.
  2. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Interestingly, it looks like DeRisi was involved in the XMRV/prostate cancer research. I wonder if XMRV is part of their mega test.
  3. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    According to the Science article supplement, the subjects:
    I wonder how many of use have been given these tests. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to get these tests.
  4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Good for you Kati!

In the latest article in the New York Times Dr. Mikovits was quoted as saying in the test will be ready within weeks not months (!)

I would note that that test will be a substantial revenue producer for the WPI - which of course will feed my back into the research; a win-win for everybody.

That statement that Andrew posted suggests that only perhaps 25 or 30% of the patients will test positive for this. Dr. Mikovits has been quoted as saying saying everybody. I hope the second is true.
  5. Kati

Kati Patient in training

I hope nobody is left behind... aside than CDC
  6. Sicktoolong

Sicktoolong

I think I must have been tested for this years ago

Many years ago, a friend referred me to Immunocomp Lab in Ga. for participation in a study and treatment, since my immune system was not working. They confirmed the incompetancy of the immune system cells I had, and how few in number they were. They told me that CFS was a form of leukemia that ruined the immune system. They treated me with IL2, TNF, GMCSF, making a vaccine, after I sent them my blood routinely. I injected the vaccine into my lymph nodes for 2 and 1/2 years. The wonderful MD treating me there died suddenly, and treatment ceased; they closed up. To continue treatment would have cost 5 or 6 thousand a month with another MD. The treatment made me feel like a "new person" each time I injected it. I believe it saved my life. Sounds like they knew about this virus then. They are describing it as a form of leukemia, as Immunocomp told me.
  7. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I don't remember getting this impression from anything I read or posted. If you are talking about the tests the subjects were given, the quote states that the sample was not limited to people who tested positive on those tests.
  8. I read on another forum from a friend that the forthcoming test for XMRV by VIP labs won't be availabe to Europeans due to the samples 'degrading in the post'. :confused:

Surely we can send it by plane within 24hrs to Nevada? Or even less.
  9. fairlight

fairlight

sicktoolong-thank you for posting

your treatment that helped you feel so good . I think this is very important. There's a drug called PROLEUKIN that is an IL2 in clinical trials for the treatment of chronic viral infections. Hopefully we'll get an acceptable treatment soon. Best wishes!
  10. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I could be wrong but I was under the impression that VIPDx has a sister lab in Belgium. http://www.redlabs.be/
  11. Thank you Andrew.

I am guessing though that this is an 'American only' test, at least inititally.
    Maybe I'm wrong, it would be incredible if it was available over the pond
    but I would imagine the lab in the states is working overtime to produce
    this so quickly and thus probably would expect an exclusive deal on it at first.

Fingers crossed we can all get it, at the end of the day the more ME CFS patients who report they have XMRV the better as the CDC will have to do something.

Maybe we can have a thread here on patients who are positive.
  12. dana

dana

australia
    do they have an associated lab in Australia?
  13. Kati

Kati Patient in training

14. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

IIRC VIPLabs was "RedLabs USA". Although I am not sure how involved Redlabs USA ever was with Redlabs in Belgium - other than in name. The redlabsusa.com website goes to VIPlabs now.
  15. Near Miss?

I still think this is can be done for people in the UK, if sent promptly and stored at the correct (stable) temperature. I am hoping the director of marketing (with respect), may not be aware that not all patients would
    simply 'post' the blood sample in a brown paper padded bag, but send it frozen on dry ice at great expense and having the blood prepared for transport in a local hospital maybe. There has to be a way, logistically.

However here is what I learnt from a friend....... :(

"Unfortunately, we cannot offer the test in Europe because of the time
    difference and temperature changes the sample would experience and it
    would be rendered unsuitable for analysis.

The test will be available in the USA in about 3-4 weeks as it is
    undergoing final validation and licensing."

Marguerite Ross, Director, Marketing & Client Relations, VIP Dx /
    Redlabs, Reno, NV,
  16. Alexia

Alexia Senior Member

Portugal
    Hi,

I live in Portugal and last year I sent some samples for testing to a lab in Seattle using DHL and it was there in 36 hours. It worked fine so I guess we living outside the USA could also have the test done unless the blood needs to be there in less then 24 hours.
  17. Marylib

Marylib Senior Member

New Zealand
    Getting tested

Hi

Call me thick-headed, but I can't understand why anyone would need to be tested at this point, except to help researchers.

I suppose if you have extra money, maybe it is out of curiosity?

I guess most of us will wait until something is firmly established and a treatment is available. If this does pan out, we may need to save our pennies to afford an antiviral, eh?

Marylib
  18. Tony

Tony Still working on it all..

Melbourne, Australia
    I think we can safely say that there is no facility to test for xmrv antibodies in Australia....yet. Once the WPI finalise their test then the technology can probably be licensed to a lab willing to do it. I would think many would jump at the chance.
  19. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Validation- if nothing shows up in the blood work your dr is ordering, your dr is doubting there is something wrong with you, ou got to prove the insurance disability there is something wrong with you, this is the perfect test to be done.

See more popular forum discussions.