• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV symposium June 9

Jemal

Very good to hear Ruscetti say these things about biopsies. Makes you wonder what's going on at the NCI when they post a message that XMRV is contamination... Don't they have a boss at the NCI? Or is the boss pro-contamination, but for some lucky reasons Ruscetti is nevertheless able to continue his work? I just can't believe if Ruscetti were to present his results to someone higher up in the pyramid they would let the NCI post this message. Unless for whatever reason they want this supposed misinformation out there at this moment.

Having worked for the government myself, I think the government always tries to speak with one mouth and one message, as conflicting messages don't sit well with the general public. However, at a research institute like the NCI, I think scientists are free to pursue certain avenues of research. The recent press release by the NCI probaby means some of the higher management now believes XMRV is contamination, but others, like Ruscetti, are still able to research an opposing view. Ruscetti probably has colleagues helping him as well.
It might also be that several departments within the NCI have opposing views.