1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Leptin
Andrew Gladman reflects upon the recent IACFS/ME conference and the buzz surrounding a small molecule, leptin.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV: Private Testimony to HHS

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Daffodil, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Thanks - I've been looking for that again for a while. I remember seeing that at the time, noting the references to infertily, and to DHEA and then couldn't find it again. Will have another read now.
  3. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

whoops. thought it was new!
  4. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    No woops about it. Don't know if it has been posted on this forum. I may have seen it somewhere else.

So much to read!
  5. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    This is a potent testimony because of the person's area of work expertise.
  6. Rafael

Rafael XMRV+ Member

Ontario, Canada
    Interesting. I wonder why this Anonymous person is so pro DHEA for for X... er, HGRV
    "...desperate for simple, inexpensive and safe therapeutics able to block the reactivation of XMRV. We know the virus is inducible by stress particularly the glucocorticoid steroid hormones. We also know that CFS-ME patients are low in the anti-stress hormone, dihydroepiandrosterone (DHEA). Accordingly, although it remains to be clinically proven by randomized clinical trials, daily supplementation with DHEA is likely to help prevent and minimize XMRV activation by at least, minimizing stress."
    I read up on DHEA up in Wiki. But when I tried searching DHEA on the forum. It must be filed under a different name. There's nothing that someone on this forum hasn't already tried.
    Can someone please direct me to the DHEA department.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Rafael,
    DHEA has been a standard treatment for ME and CFS with some doctors for decades. Some patients seem to respond to it, but I have never tried it. The problem is that it is considered an anabolic steroid. Worse, until clinical trials are done, we wont know if it might actually stimulate XMRV/HGRV - it might trigger the androgen receptor.

Bye
    Alex

8. Lynn

Lynn Senior Member

I have tried DHEA on two separate occasions for at least 3 months trials. I did not see any difference.

The first time was early on in the disease. I think I was hoping for a quick cure back then. The second time was about seven years later. I still could not see any difference in my symptoms.

Lynn
  9. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I took DHEA for three months. Had a boost during month 1 and thought I was onto something. Then slowly returned to normal after that. Not many things give me that 1 month boost but I don't know what was happening.

XMRV+
  10. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

I took DHEA for like a year and didn't notice any difference. At this point I am leery of trying to address things willy nilly without some comprehension of why such levels are low or high.
  11. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    great paper! thanks for posting!
  12. Rafael

Rafael XMRV+ Member

Ontario, Canada
    and thanks for DHEA comments everyone.
  13. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Very interesting paper! Thanks for posting!

See more popular forum discussions.