• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV out, EBV in??

baccarat

I've just come across this article that quotes what it seems recent research...

"According to a study published in the Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Seropositive status for Borrelia burgdorferi (B. burgdorferi) and Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) was identified in 66% of the patients with the diagnosis of CFS by CDC criteria. The study is entitled, Factors Affecting Duration of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in Pediatric Patients".

http://www.nutritionnewswire.com/xmrv-longer-considered-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/29948
Ignore the second part of the article, plain infomercial...

This is news to me. 66% seems an awful lot!
Can somebody pls help here and summarise what the latest evidence is with regard to a possible link XMRV and CFS. I went through the XMRV section but I can't make sense of various posts in terms of where we are now...feeling quite foggy today...
Also, does this mean that the EBV connection is going to be reappraised?

Thanks

Boule de feu

From what I have learned at the conference yesterday (actually, I knew this already), 11% of the population will get CFS after being infected by different pathogens.

You can get CFS after mono, after a surgery, etc. A genetic predisposition must be there in order for you to be sick.

The XMRV theory is out. However, there are still talks about other pathogens that were discovered by Lombardi and al.

baccarat

Many thanks. So it's confirmed, xmrv is a dead end with regard to cfs.
This bit of news is discomforting.
Need to figure out what route to take next...

ukxmrv

XMRV is not "out" as some one said on this forum "XMRV is dead, long live XMRV"

The WPI are still working on this family of RV's plus other scientists. It's not over yet.

We've had research and treatments for EBV since the 80's yet many patients, like myself, remain ill to this day.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I dont think the retroviral stuff is dead. but i would like to know more about the implications of herpes viruses like ebv,cmv and hhv6 some more, maybe from montoya and lerner if there stuff was at the conference.

mellster

Marco
I second that - getting doctors to recognize that high IGG titers for viruses of the herpes family (or possibly any virus) actually mean something and should not be dismissed but followed up with more testing and treatment (backed by research) would be a great first step.