• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV: Necessary but not sufficient?

XMRV Studies for other conditions

It's great to see news of all these studies into CFS + XMRV. However they do appear to all be studying pretty much the same question. It would be nice to think that at least one study was thinking more laterally.

Are patients with Gulf War Syndrome interested in XMRV? If not, maybe someone should suggest that they should be; perhaps their support groups can campaign for a study asking what percentage of them have XMRV? Similarly with IBS and Multiple Sclerosis, and any other ideopathic illnesses of the immune and neurological systems.

A study should be comparing rates across all these groups, to give a first outline picture of the extent and spread of the disease. Asking these questions would also give a lot of information regarding the strength of the association between XMRV and CFS, and suggest which other conditions may be related - that list of associated conditions could be the key to understanding XAND.

So are there any studies going on that, when they report back in 6 months times, are going to tell us anything we don't already know? Looks like the world is just going to spend the next 6 months checking whether the WPI study is valid...would be nice to cast the net a bit wider at the same time and look for some more clues...

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
one study

A private medical practice is testing their patients for XMRV and asking them to check all of the following diagnostic categories that fit:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Fibromyalgia
Lyme Disease
Multiple Sclerosis
Lupus
Rheumatoid Arthritis
Mold Sensitivities
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
Depression
Menopause
Cancer
Other

A

anne

Mark, if I remember correctly (from the CFASC conference maybe?), suddenly doctors everywhere are sending the WPI samples for all kinds of things. I imagine retrovirologists in general will cast a broad net. We'll know more when we hear about the Cleveland Clinic conference.

A private medical practice is testing their patients for XMRV and asking them to check all of the following diagnostic categories that fit

Awesome, thanks a lot for that Gracenote, great to know that's happening even if there are loads of key conditions missing from the list and it's a private test. At least somebody's got their head screwed on! If they're testing a whole practice though, the rate things are queueing up at the labs, some vague results for a few conditions will come in months after they should have been known all of this vital information. I do keep wondering and finding it so hard to believe this hasn't already been done and kept out of the public domain...it's that old question of whether it's a conspiracy or good old-fashioned stupidity again...

Eric Johnson from I&I

DeRisi is god, hes the real deal. This is not Byron Hyde or Teitelbaum. His opinion is as weighty as Coffin's. Any criticism he has should be taken very seriously.