1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV makes about.com prostate cancer blog

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by shrewsbury, Apr 8, 2010.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Prostate Cancer Blog

By Matthew Schmitz, M.D., About.com Guide to Prostate Cancer

HIV Drugs May Be Able to Treat XMRV
    Wednesday April 7, 2010

XMRV, a virus linked to certain rare familial forms of prostate cancer, was recently in the news after it was cited as a potential risk to the national blood supply.

Now researchers from the University of Utah and Emory University have determined that XMRV can be controlled using certain drugs designed to fight HIV (the virus that causes AIDS). The researchers studied 45 different HIV-fighting compounds to determine which were best at also controlling XMRV.

XMRV is thought to behave in a manner very similar to HIV in the body.

This research has recently been published in the journal PLoS One.

2. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    Isn't it weird how Plos One has suddenly changed tact on XMRV. The new study obviously contradicts Wessley's, just based upon the potential threat of XMRV.

See more popular forum discussions.