1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

XMRV International Advocacy Strategy: Help us start a Facebook page?

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by parvofighter, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    XMRV Global Action?

I like this one and we could make the web domain name XMRVGlobal. Will have to make sure this is available.

2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Hello Bully Beef,

Just to say that a friend of mine, who was ill for 20 years with M.E. also had it officially recorded as his cause of death, too That was about 8 years ago, so Sophia was not the first in England.
  3. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    Mission: To bring awareness to the possible connection between diseases such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Autism and Gulf War Illness and to advocate for XMRV research, testing and treatment.

Ok.....help me out guys. What disease do want listed? Any ideas on how to improve on the above?

Autism
    Atypical MS
    Cervical Cancer
    Gulf War Illness
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Lyme Disease
    Multiple Chemical Sensitivity
    Niemann-Pick Type C Alzheimer’s
    Prostate Cancer

It's difficult to put this whole list in a mission statement

4. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    I am very sorry to hear that CG, was her death reported? I understand it is a delicate subject, and if you don't mind me asking (I understand if you would rather not), do you know her cause of death in relation to ME/CFS?

I have a suspicion that many probable ME/CFS causes of death have been lost in autopsies.
  5. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    Cort

Where is this sub forum?

6. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

It is a mouthful Frickly (nice typo I just made - Friskly - I like it). Is this getting any closer?

To advocate for XMRV research, testing and treatment and to raise global awareness of its possible connection to diseases such as ME/CFS, Prostate Cancer, Autism, Atypical MS, Cervical Cancer, Gulf War Illness, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Lyme Disease, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, and Niemann-Pick Type C Alzheimers.

7. OurDayWillCome

OurDayWillCome

RE groups.... Just remebered something I read on mefmaction.net.

"Co-morbid Entities: Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS), Myofascial Pain Syndrome (MPS), Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ), Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Interstitial Cystitis, Irritable Bladder Syndrome, Raynaud’s Phenomenon, Prolapsed Mitral Valve, Depression, Migraine, Allergies, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS), Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Sicca Syndrome, etc. Such co-morbid entities may occur in the setting of ME/CFS. Others such as IBS may precede the development of ME/CFS by many years, but then become associated with it. The same holds true for migraines and depression. Their association is thus looser than between the symptoms within the syndrome. ME/CFS and FMS often closely connect and should be considered to be “overlap syndromes”."

http://www.mefmaction.net/documents/ME_Overview.pdf

Maybe a list of Primary disoeders, then comorbid?
  8. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    I don't know about you guys, but I always get confused when the domain name is not the same as the site name (like Phoenix Rising) - so I'd prefer xmrvglobalaction.org.

Are we ready for a logo? XMRV Global Action?
  9. Lily

Lily *Believe*

I agree fresh eyes....

Let's see a logo:D:D
  10. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    xmrvglobalaction.org is available and I like it too. I think we are ready for a logo unless anyone objects to the above.
  11. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    I agree

We can refine the list once I get all the other info I need. Possibly take out the Irritable bowel syndrome andmultiple chemical sensitivity.

12. fresh_eyes

Great. Logo will be done by tomorrow. :) It can be refined as we go on too.
  13. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Good memory ODWC

So if we had primary diseases listed in the mission statement, it would be something like this:

To advocate for XMRV research, testing and treatment and to raise global awareness of its possible connection to diseases such as ME/CFS, Prostate Cancer, Fibromyalgia, Autism, Atypical MS, Cervical Cancer, Gulf War Illness, Lyme Disease, Niemann-Pick Type C Alzheimers.

And elsewhere there would be the list of comorbid entities?

Co-morbid Entities:
    Myofascial Pain Syndrome (MPS),
    Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ),
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS),
    Interstitial Cystitis,
    Irritable Bladder Syndrome,
    Raynauds Phenomenon,
    Prolapsed Mitral Valve,
    Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS),
    Sicca Syndrome,
    Orthostatic Intolerance
    Depression,
    Migraine,
    Allergies,
    Hashimotos thyroiditis,

Such co-morbid entities may occur in the setting of ME/CFS. Others, such as IBS may precede the development of ME/CFS by many years, but then become associated with it. The same holds true for migraines and depression. Their association is thus looser than between the symptoms within the syndrome. ME/CFS and FMS often closely connect and should be considered to be overlap syndromes.

IMO, if we were to post this, we would find the source that mefmaction used if we could.
    http://www.mefmaction.net/documents/ME_Overview.pdf

I think I remember that in lists, people tend to remember the first and last few so thats where you want the big hitters.

Also think its important to have every bit of info supported, with the link nicely hidden.
  14. OurDayWillCome

OurDayWillCome

Frickly... OK with me. If building numbers and support is the aim, then the more, the better I would think. And I don't believe there is any clear idea at this point just how many disorders will be linked to XMRV.
  15. OurDayWillCome

OurDayWillCome

@islandfinn...glad I remembered that! I am not always so fortunate.
  16. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    Ok while Islandfinn is working on the logo we can think about the position statements. We can have up to five. I jotted down a couple but please feel free change them as I am not the writer I used to be.

Name: XMRV Global Action – xmrvglobalaction.org

Mission: To advocate for XMRV research, testing and treatment and to raise global awareness of its possible connection to diseases such as ME/CFS, Prostate Cancer, Fibromyalgia, Autism, Atypical MS, Cervical Cancer, Gulf War Illness, Lyme Disease and Niemann-Pick Type C Alzheimer’s.

Position 1 We believe there is a connection between these diseases and the common factor may be XMRV.

Position 2 More effective advocacy is needed and we believe bringing these groups together can accomplish this goal. We believe there is strength in numbers.

Position 3 We believe it is important to Accelerate availability of XMRV testing, research and care.

Position 4 There is a need to develop a coherent message and effective public relations strategy that demands swift and decisive redress for these decades of medical neglect.

Position 5
  17. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

xmrvglobalaction.org mission statement

Here's where we've gotten so far in roughing out a mission statement:

To advocate for XMRV research, testing and treatment, and to raise global awareness of its possible connection to diseases such as ME/CFS, Prostate Cancer, Fibromyalgia, Autism, Atypical MS, Cervical Cancer, Gulf War Illness, Leukemia, Lymphoma, Lyme Disease, and Niemann-Pick Type C Alzheimers.

I found a site that has good examples of mission statements. Maybe it would help refine our mission statement.

eg

Later, I'll try to look for resources on good position(ing) statements, and know some orgs also have vision statements, so maybe them as well.
  18. Frickly

Frickly Senior Member

Texas
    Thanks,

I edited my last post to revise the positions using some of Parvo's info on the first post.
  19. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    use of words

This is really spectacular. My two cents . . .

I think using words like "To advocate . . .", "To provide . . .", is much stronger than "We believe . . ." for stating our mission and positions.
  20. fresh_eyes

a few thoughts

I wonder if we should move the names of the diseases out of the Mission and into the first Position? I'd like it if the mission was really easy to take in. Also it might be important to provide just a little more info in case people are totally unfamiliar with the research? A la:

Our mission is to create a global advocacy network for diseases associated with the retrovirus XMRV.

Position 1: Preliminary studies show that XMRV is associated with many poorly-understood illnesses, including ... Further research, testing, and treatment is urgently needed.

Another position idea:

XMRV is likely in the blood supply. This potential contamination is a worldwide public-safety issue that must be given the highest possible priority.

ETA I agree with gracenote re: phrasing, getting away from the word "believe".

Rock on, advocates!

See more popular forum discussions.